Musician doesn't fret over success

John Peterson performs the "dirty-man dance" at the Gnu's Room for an enthusiastic crowd. (Jillian Clair / News Editor)

John Peterson is a dirty man.

Of course, that's only when he's doing the "dirty-man dance" with a guitar in hand and a harmonica in tune during one of his high-energy, interactive vocal performances--or when he's digging in his vegetable garden.

Peterson said he enjoys sharing his passion for music with family, friends and fans.

With the company of his wife and three children, Peterson enjoys playing intimate shows at venues like The Gnu's Room, where he last performed Saturday evening.

Born in Boston, Mass., Peterson grew up in Michigan where he earned a bachelor's degree in biology from Michigan State University.

He moved to Opelika in 2003 to attend Auburn University, where he met his wife, Vikki Ashe.

"The very first night I met him, he was playing music at a mutual friend's house," Ashe said. "That was the very first thing that attracted me to him. I'm his biggest fan."

Peterson, 28, has appreciated music for as long as he can remember.

"My whole life I've been interested in music," Peterson said. "My first tapes were Beach Boys Greatest Hits and Cyndi Lauper Greatest Hits. I couldn't imagine my life without music--I'd go crazy."

Alongside his musical career, Peterson enjoys molding young minds.

"I've taught at Auburn for the past eight years, and I teach biology down at Troy University Montgomery," Peterson said. "It really is like performing three days a week every time I do a lecture. You've got to entertain students, and so you've got to be funny and make gestures. In a way, it's pretty similar to performing live."

Having a distinct flavor of sound, Peterson said he prefers to use a specific label to describe the type of music he plays.

"Americana is what I like to call it," Peterson said. "All the American-roots type music is what I like. I like blues; I like folk; I like spirituals, religious music, country. All of those different types of music I enjoy a lot--so that's what I play."

Peterson's inspiration for his musical compilations include performers who range from old classics to newer, contemporary sounds.

"A big one is Johnny Cash," Peterson said. "His music was so quintessentially American. Tom Waits is a huge one, too. Maybe some Steve Earle."

Peterson's captured genre was achieved through experimenting with different types of music and varied mixtures of tones.

"I started listening to punk music a long time ago," Peterson said. "I went from punk to alternative country which ultimately pushed me to practice traditional country."

Peterson said his inspiration comes from life in general and personal experiences that have made him the man he is today.

"It certainly comes from other music," Peterson said. "When I listen to music I always listen for what I like and what I want to emulate in my songs."

"I like things that have a historical niche, that have kind of an atmosphere to them. I like writing about things I've learned in my life and the point of views I have on things, but I try to make my songs sound as different as possible."

In addition to The Gnu's Room, Peterson has also performed at events including Auburn's CityFest and Art Walk.

"He just brings such energy," said Tina Tatum, one of three owners of The Gnu's Room. "He just has a wonderful family. He's just so talented. I really feel like he could easily be on stage somewhere making tons of money. He's just an entertainer, as well as a performer. He brings humor into his performances and just pours his heart and soul into all his music."

Peterson has been performing publicly since he was in his late teens. His public debuts began while he lived in Michigan and continued after his move to Alabama. Peterson worked outdoor venues and open mic nights at quiet hangout spots like Big Blue Bagel & Deli.

As a teacher, husband, father and Auburn student working toward a Ph.D, Peterson said his life can get busy at times, but said, "Chaos is wonderful."

"I don't let him run wild with his music, but really I'm just there to support him," Ashe said. "He has so much personality. I think the biggest quality of John's personality is that he's a pleaser. No matter what situation he's in, he just wants to make sure that everybody is happy."

Despite his fondness for singing, Peterson said he prefers spending time with his family.

Peterson considers his three children--Cash, 2, and 8-month-old twins, Leo and Max--his greatest blessings. Incorporating music into his home life is essential.

"The big priority with the kids is exposing them to as many things as possible, and one of those things is music," Peterson said. "We dance in the kitchen all the time--it's one of our favorite things to do. Music and the kids are definitely combined."

Although Peterson has a loyal group of followers, he has never wanted to be signed, but only wishes to continue sharing his love of singing with the Auburn-Opelika community.

"It's always in the back of my mind, but my life is being at home with my family and having a steady job," Peterson said. "Really my life is about my wife and children.

"It would be great to go around and play for people and make money off it, but something happens to your music when you do that. You start living a different life, and I'd rather have a life I can write songs about.

"The point's to get the music out there. It's not to become famous--famous people are nuts."

Share and discuss “Musician doesn't fret over success” on social media.