Softball team breaks win streak record

Elizabeth Eisterhold swings against Georgia Southern. (Rebekah Weaver / Assistant Photo Editor)

After remaining undefeated this weekend in the War Eagle Classic, the Auburn softball team prepares for its next game against No. 6 Oklahoma.

With the victory against Georgia Southern Friday, the Tigers tied their longest win-streak in school history.

The Tigers will travel to Norman, Okla., to take on the top-ranked Sooners Friday.

The team will not have any games during this week in preparation for Oklahoma.

"We're going to let their bodies rest this week and give the girls more time to focus on academics," said Tina Deese, head coach.

The team expects one of the biggest challenges to be Oklahoma's pitching.

"We're going to see some real gas from the pitching staff, and we'll see how well we adjust," Deese said. "This type of team will help us get ready for playing against other SEC teams."

The central force comes from Oklahoma's Keilani Ricketts, a left-handed pitcher.

"We've been warned about Ricketts," said freshman first baseman and outfielder Morgan Estell. "We have to be prepared to watch the ball."

Although Deese said she knows Ricketts' pitches can reach speeds of 68 mph, she doesn't want it to upset the team's focus.

"I want us to get in there, play well and execute," Deese said. "And of course I want to return home 4-0 after this weekend."

Auburn and Oklahoma haven't played one another since 2002 when the Sooners won 6-2.

"They're a big hitting and pitching team," Deese said. "They aren't ranked for nothing. We're going to have our hands full."

Players have their own individual goals to accomplish this weekend.

"I just want to make all my plays," said junior shortstop Lauren Guzman. "When there are runners on base, I want to hit the ball well."

Estell said her focus is also on hitting.

"My goal is to square up every time," Estell said. "I want to be a team player, too--anyway I can help, whether it's to bunt, hit one over or even get hit by a pitch."

The Tigers defeated five teams this weekend in the War Eagle Classic at Jane B. Moore Field.

Auburn won against Georgia Southern 9-1, Belmont 8-5, Marshall 8-1, Murray State 14-2 and Middle Tennessee 10-0.

"The team as a whole performed really well overall," Guzman said. "We found what we need to work on."

Deese has a few things in mind for Wednesday's practice.

"We've got to continue to get better," Deese said. "We've got to practice seeing the ball with some real heat on it."

Deese said she was impressed with the team's performance against Belmont.

"We were extremely aggressive offensively and defensively," Deese said. "We did a nice job squaring up and hitting the ball."

Spring weather brought a rise in attendance for the games this weekend.

"The attendance and the energy were good, and the weather definitely helped out," Deese said. "The kids do enjoy playing in front of a big crowd; they feed off the energy."

Estell said she appreciates when the fans are loud.

"I love the crowd being here," Estell said. "There was a big group on Saturday who would do the cheers with us."

Deese said she hopes that success against Pittsburgh will help encourage the team in its upcoming game.

"We know what we're up against," Deese said. "The most important thing is to go into it carrying our confidence.

Share and discuss “Softball team breaks win streak record” on social media.