Battling cancer, one step at a time

Cancer never sleeps. That's the motto of the American Cancer Society's 26th annual Relay for Life, happening in more than 5,000 communities across the nation.

Auburn's relay will be held April 16 at Hutsell track on Biggio Drive from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.

"It is a one-night event," said Kelley Andrews, promotions chair for the University's Relay for Life and senior in communications. "It's a way for Auburn students to have fun together, but it's also for the reason of celebrating life."

There are currently 405 registered participants on 63 teams, and so far this year Auburn has raised $20,499.

Emily Simpson, senior in biomedical science and event chair, said last year's Auburn Relay for Life raised approximately $53,000 for The American Cancer Society, and committee members hope the Auburn community can exceed that amount this year.

Donations can be made on the Relay for Life website.

Simpson became involved with Relay for Life when her family experienced cancer firsthand.

"My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005, and we became involved with it after she had been diagnosed and was going through chemo," Simpson said. "Relay was something that kind of gave all of us hope that we wouldn't have to go through it again."

Simpson said the Tiger Splashers are supporters of The American Cancer Society and participate in Relay for Life in honor of former Auburn swimming and diving coach Richard Quick, who died in 2009 from a brain tumor.

Simpson said she began participating with the Tiger Splashers and decided to become a committee member with Relay for Life.

The event is for people of all ages and will feature bands, competitions and music.

The event seeks to raise money and awareness for cancer victims as well as honor those who have battled cancer.

"If you ask a whole classroom of students, 'Who's been affected by cancer?' everyone raises their hand," Andrews said.

"I wish everyone would participate because I know in the long run of our life span we're all going to be affected."

Simpson said the event will start with an opening ceremony, and cancer survivors will walk the opening lap.

At least one participant will be walking the track the entire night.

There will also be a candlelight memorial to recognize those who have lost their lives to cancer.

"I wanted to do whatever I could for the mission of finding a cure for cancer," Andrews said.

Lindsay Johnston, special projects manager for the American Cancer Society, said 100 percent of all money raised goes directly to the organization, and approximately 30 cents of every dollar is given to fund cancer education, advocacy and research.

"The American Cancer Society is excellent stewards of its fundraising dollars," Johnston said. "All of our administrative costs are only 6 percent out of all the money that we raise, which is incredible for the largest nonprofit health organization."

Share and discuss “Battling cancer, one step at a time” on social media.