Freshman promotes use of tap water

Enrique Doster, freshman in preveterinary medicine, began an initiative to promote using tap water to refill reusable water bottles. (PHOTO ILLUSTRATION / Rebekah Weaver)

Enrique Doster realized about a month ago he was paying for something that should be free.

As creator of the "Auburn takes back the tap" initiative, which can be found on Facebook, Doster said he aims to educate everyone on why tap water is so much more important than bottled water.

Doster said the initiative is in the planning process.

"I definitely want people to pledge to drink tap water instead of bottled water," Doster said. "(I want) tables on the concourse showing statistics."

Doster said four of every five water bottles aren't recycled.

"I'm not going to push people to change their own minds, but by just educating them, I'm hoping people will change their own minds," Doster said.

Doster said he loves water and thinks it is a big part of everyone's life.

"It's such an important part of sustainability because we need water to survive, and yet nobody knows just how harmful that it is--what we are doing by drinking bottled water," Doster said.

Doster said he saw pictures of where the bottles end up and of animals with trash in their bellies.

He said he didn't want to be a part of that.

"I don't have a hybrid car, my apartment doesn't have solar energy, but even a little step in the right direction will make the world a lot of good."

Share and discuss “Freshman promotes use of tap water” on social media.