On the hunt for summer jobs

One of the scariest aspects of college life is the inevitable reality of job hunting. Look for jobs that can provide experience and even become future career paths.

Elisabeth Johnson, who works with Student Employment Services--a section of Career Development Services--advised searching Auburn's Tiger Recruiting Links website to find summer jobs both on campus and off campus (www.jobs.auburn.edu).

"TRL is hosted by us," Johnson said. "We approve the jobs on the site, and it's only for Auburn students and alumni."

Companies worldwide looking for Auburn students and graduates post job applications on the website.

"It's a great resource," Johnson said. "All students have to do is create a student account, and they can use the website."

TRL isn't the only way to find a summer job, though.

"If you're wanting to work and can't find something in TRL, go around and talk to different companies, even for part-time positions," Johnson said.

She said many students find jobs by asking for advice from friends.

"It's all about word-of-mouth," Johnson said.

Johnson said Career Development Services recommends trying a fun job that interests you during freshman or sophomore year. But by junior year, students' jobs should focus around their majors.

"Center your work so you have experience for your resume," Johnson said.

Lauren Murphy, junior in communication, found a job that is both fun and beneficial to her major.

Murphy spent the past few summers on the beaches of Destin, Fla., working at an ocean sports camp called RYNO (Realize Your Natural Obsession).

"In the morning I teach kids to surf, swim, kayak, paddle board and snorkel," Murphy said. "In the afternoon I schedule private lessons and rent all of our equipment."

Murphy said working in the Destin area is helping her prepare and make connections for her future.

"It's led me to meeting many diverse and successful people," she said. "I've learned how to communicate and welcome strangers.

"I've also learned how to deal with unhappy customers as well."

Murphy learned one of the most difficult aspects of working with a company is learning how to keep customers coming back.

"During the slow weeks, I learned different ways of drumming up business through advertisement strategies such as passing out flyers and decorating and putting up signs to draw more attention," she said.

Murphy had the opportunity to put her graphic art minor to use while working with RYNO. She helped design T-shirts, can huggers, rash guards and keychains for the company.

Not only has Murphy been given the chance to gain experience in her major and minor, but she's also had the chance to meet some of the company's more high-end customers.

"I had the chance to meet and work for the head coach of the New Orleans Saints, Sean Payton, which also led to me babysitting his kids in the evenings," Murphy said.

"I really believe that having experiences like the ones I've had at RYNO will be very beneficial to my future career path."

Share and discuss “On the hunt for summer jobs” on social media.