On the Tracks brings good spirits

On the Tracks is held twice a year in downtown Opelika and features food, drinks and live music. This year's spring event will take place Friday from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. (Photo Illustration by Christen Harned / Assistant Photo Editor)

Transforming the quiet streets of downtown Opelika into a festival complete with food, fellowship and fun, the 11th biannual On the Tracks food and wine festival will take place Friday from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.

With the downtown blocked off for the event, On the Tracks gives guests the opportunity to sample fine wines and local cuisine while venturing through 19 different shops and galleries in downtown Opelika. Live music will also be provided during the night, featuring John Bull Band, Destiny Brown and My Two Wings.

"It's a lot of fun and a great atmosphere," said Pam Powers-Smith, director and co-founder of On the Tracks and owner of Flip Flop Foto in Opelika.

Powers-Smith said all of the restaurants in downtown Opelika will be open, selling food and drinks from the regular menus both inside and outdoors.

Several Auburn restaurants, including Maestro 2300, Cuban Delight and Amsterdam Cafe will also have vendors at the event serving food a la carte.

On the Tracks will also have an outdoor bar available for guests.

Though most of the action takes place outside, Powers-Smith said she hasn't found weather to be an issue because there is so much going on indoors as well.

A rain or shine event, On the Tracks will have tents and tables set up outside for guests to enjoy.

Powers-Smith said groups can purchase tables prior to the event if desired.

A trail ticket to sample a variety of fine wines and food offered by participating stores on the wine trail can be purchased for $25 the night of the event or preordered at onthetracks.org.

Powers-Smith said guests must purchase a $5 wristband to drink during the event.

All proceeds from the tickets and wristbands benefit Opelika Main Street, a nationally-recognized program that aims to revitalize areas in downtown Opelika.

However, Powers-Smith said anyone is welcome to come and enjoy the live music and visit the 19 different shops participating in the event.

"It's a great chance to come with friends and see stores and restaurants in Opelika you may not see otherwise," said Ryan Schwartz, intern at Opelika Main Street.

Eight years ago, Powers-Smith and the owner of Eighth and Rail in Opelika founded On the Tracks after realizing the need for an upscale event for adults in the area.

On the Tracks was started as an annual event and is now offered twice a year, in the spring and fall.

Powers-Smith said all ages are welcome, but the event is mainly focused toward an adult crowd.

Stacie Money, board member for Opelika Main Street and owner of Fringe in Opelika, said the event usually draws a crowd of approximately 500 guests from Opelika and surrounding areas.

"It's great for people who are new to the area or locals to come and see what businesses are downtown," Money said.

Money said several new businesses have opened downtown since the last On the Tracks festival, including Sips n Strokes and other stores and restaurants.

"It's always a lot of fun," Money said. "I hope new people will continue to come to the event."

The date for On the Tracks in the fall is already set for Oct. 7.

The event has received acclaim during past events.

"Most people that come to the event love it," Money said. "It's always fun no matter what."

To reserve a group table, Powers-Smith can be contacted at 334-737-1474, or by email at pam@flipflopfoto.com.

Share and discuss “On the Tracks brings good spirits” on social media.