Traveling back in time

Earl Bryant of Valley, an apprentice blacksmith, makes a fireplace poker at the Battle of Loachapoka Saturday. (Emily Adams / PHOTO EDITOR )

Second Saturdays at Pioneer Park in Loachapoka allows people to revisit the days before fast cars and Facebook.

The second Saturday of every month from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Lee County Historical Society hosts a re-enactment of pioneer and Civil War era life in Alabama.

"We have a blacksmith working," said Sheila Eckman, city councilwoman and public relations representative for Second Saturdays. "We have people cooking on the open hearth in the log cabin.

"We have people spinning. We have people weaving; we have people playing and teaching dulcimer."

Last Saturday also featured a small Civil War re-enactment to honor the 150th anniversary of the War Between the States.

Eckman said the historical society plans to make the battle reenactment an annual activity.

Jean O'Donnell, a participant in the spinning and weaving demonstration, has been a part of Second Saturdays since September.

"Upstairs we have a whole room dedicated to spinning and weaving, quilting, sewing and anything that would be needed to make a garment from the raw fiber--the cotton and the wool mostly comes from Lee County," O'Donnell said.

The event also features authentic gardens of the time period, including a crop garden with sweet potatoes and cotton, a medicinal herb garden, a vegetable garden and a bog garden.

Eckman said approximately 12 people lead re-enactment activities along with many additional apprentice participants and 15-20 dulcimer players.

"We wanted to come up with a way to get people to the museum--there's a great museum there," Eckman said. "The museum is the old trade center--Loachapoka used to be a big railroad town."

The exhibits in the museum include a section on local Native Americans, furniture from the 1850s, books, military goods and armor, kitchen supplies, clothes and other antiques.

"It gives people a chance to come and visit the museum for free, which has a wonderful collection on the history of Lee County," O'Donnell said.

Bill Yates, Auburn resident and Second Saturdays first-timer, said the event made for a relaxing afternoon activity.

"The workers around and the barn and cabins make it feel like an old-time village," Yates said.

More information about Second Saturdays can be found on the Lee County Historical Society website at www.leecountyhistoricalsociety.org.

Share and discuss “Traveling back in time” on social media.