Bobby Lowder asks to withdraw from trustee nominations amid controversy

Bobby Lowder's 28-year run as an AU trustee will end with his current term. Lowder asked Gov. Robert Bentley today to be removed from consideration for another 7-year term.

Bobby Lowder, Auburn University trustee member of 28 years, asked that his name be withdrawn from consideration for reappointment Monday. The news comes amid controversy over his reappointment to the board by Gov. Robert Bentley.
Senator President Pro Tempore Del Marsh, R-Anniston, announced Thursday he would not bring the appointments to the confirmations committee during the current session. Marsh said he was not satisfied with the lack of openness and fairness in the 10-day selection process.
Lowder, 68, told Bentley’s office Monday he no longer desires reappointment on the board.
“Lowder asked that his name be withdrawn from consideration for a new term,” said Rebekah Mason, director of communications for the governor’s office.
Lowder’s current term will expire next spring.
Monday, Bentley called for a special meeting of the AU Board Selection Committee to take place next Wednesday, May 25, at 8 a.m.
“I’ve been working hard to get those involved in the selection and confirmation process on the same page,” Bentley said in a statement released shortly before the news of Lowder’s withdrawal was made public.
“The meeting will provide me an opportunity to bring the committee members up to date on recent developments and the encouraging discussions I’ve had with all the stakeholders.”
Monday the Opelika-Auburn News reported Sen. Tom Whatley, R-Auburn, sent a letter to Lowder asking him to remove his name from consideration to the post.
In the formal letter, Whatley wrote, “While I appreciate your past service, it is my opinion that the university would be best served by bringing new voices onto the board with new insight and a fresh perspective. In view of this need, I cannot support Senate confirmation of your appointment as I do not believe it is in the best interest of the Auburn family.”
Lowder has not yet spoken publicly on the issue, and it is unsure if the formal letter was the cause of his decision.
The Auburn Plainsman will have more information on this story as it is available.

Share and discuss “Bobby Lowder asks to withdraw from trustee nominations amid controversy” on social media.