Tiger alum golfer in US Open tournament

Dufner was an All-American. (Todd Van Emst / MEDIA RELATIONS)

Former Auburn golfer Jason Dufner made his fifth U.S. Open appearance last week at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md. after being selected as an alternate.

The 2000 Auburn graduate left his legacy at the University after having a strong career and setting commendable school records.

Dufner holds the ninth-best career scoring average in school history at 73.34 and was an All-American and three-time All-SEC selection during his time at Auburn.

"He's worked hard and had the right attitude and mentality, and he has made himself a great player," said Auburn men's head golf coach Nick Clinard.

Auburn golfers also pay notice to Dufner's accomplishments and see him as a role model.

"All of the guys on our team definitely look up to Dufner," senior golfer Will McCurdy said. "Jason is a big inspiration and an ideal person to model your game and your life after."

Senior golfer John Stembridge said Dufner's frequent top finishes make the Tigers proud.

Clinard said Dufner's accomplishments have played a role in recruiting golfers to play for Auburn.

"Any time you have someone of his stature playing at his level and as well as he has, it helps player development and recruiting," Clinard said.

McCurdy said Dufner has contributed to Auburn's recruiting success.

"It helps recruiting when you can point out a Tour pro as a product of this program," he said.

Although Dufner is busy advancing his professional career, he remains an avid Auburn fan, according to his Twitter, and he still finds time to mentor young Tigers.

Dufner came to the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate held at Old Overton Club in Birmingham last fall to give some tips to the Auburn golfers.

"He walked with us in the practice round and gave us some pointers," McCurdy said. "His time was greatly appreciated and very helpful to us."

Clinard said any time Dufner is around, the players are always trying to pick his brain and watch how he practices in hopes that some of his knowledge and technique will rub off on them.

The Auburn players kept up with Dufner's performance in last week's showing at the Open.

"Our team always follows how he is playing," Stembridge said. "We like to keep up with all of our former players to see how they are doing. Text messages will circulate the team if someone is having a particularly good week."

Missing the cut to continue in round 3, Dufner finished +7 with a 147 total after having two birdies in round one and another two in the second round.

"I have the PGA Tour application on my phone, and Dufner is saved as one of my favorites to follow every week," McCurdy said. "I wouldn't miss one day of following our Auburn boy."

Share and discuss “Tiger alum golfer in US Open tournament” on social media.