Turtles, Tortoises and Terrapins, oh my

Wes Holland and Jennifer Lolley show kids the different kinds of turtles Saturday at the Ecology Preserve. (Alex Sager / PHOTO EDITOR)

The turtle population in Alabama might surprise the average skeptic, but on Saturday no question was left unanswered regarding the differences among species.

The Louise Krehen Forest Ecology Preserve held a turtle awareness presentation to encourage the overall knowledge of the many variations of turtles in Alabama.

Auburn graduate and biologist Wes Holland began the event by explaining that Alabama leads the nation in turtle diversity, with approximately 30 species.

After presenting the audience with an entertaining exhibit on Alabama's seven families of turtles, Holland explained the basic differences between turtles, tortoises and terrapins, with the feet being the biggest difference, along with different shaped skulls.

"You can really call all of them turtles, sometimes it just depends where your from," Holland said.

Jennifer Lolley, administrator for the ecology preserve, also assisted with the event by showing the crowd various turtles.

She explained the reason behind Alabama's turtle population is because of simple geography and a mild climate filled with a vast array of physiological regions that aid in turtle survival.

"Turtles love Alabama," Holland said.

The audience learned Mobile has the most species of turtles in the world, and females have larger bodies because of extra space for their eggs.

The pavilion was filled to capacity, as families from Auburn examined the turtles.

Lolley said the purpose of events is to educate people on the vast majority of turtles in Alabama.

"We want to raise the awareness of turtle diversity not only to the students, but for families as well," Lolley said.

Lolley also gave a brief explanation of the rehabilitation program fueled by the Auburn University Veterinarian school.

The program nurses injured animals, including turtles, back to health. Lolley said the program has saved many turtles over the years.

Saturday's event was not only held to educate, but also to increase awareness of the preserve.

"It's about taking care of what we have, and we do that through donations and volunteering," Lolley said. "Events like this really make a difference."

The preserve is host to many weekly events throughout the year, all completely manned by volunteers.

Shanna Henry, a volunteer at Saturday's event, said the purpose of the event is to educate the public on the prevalence of turtles in the area.

"My kids loved it," said Kelly Augsburger. "They have never done anything like this. It was great."

Share and discuss “Turtles, Tortoises and Terrapins, oh my” on social media.