Police offer citizens home-security checks

Auburn residents will now have another way to safeguard their homes from intruders.

The Auburn Police Division's crime prevention unit has always offered security checks, but this summer officers began actively asking businesses and citizens if they wanted the service.

"(The checks) are just our way of taking positive steps toward preventing crime," said Capt. Tommy Carswell of the crime prevention unit.

The assessments usually last 30 minutes and include checking for visibilty from the road, lighting, locks and other factors.

Most of the outside factors are geared toward those who live in houses, but Carswell said anyone can request the service.

Students who live on campus should not worry about requesting the service because Carswell said University planners follow the crime prevention through environmental design guidelines.

"We are patrolling campus pretty well, and we've already addressed these problems on campus," Carswell said.

One of benefits of the service, Carswell said, is once a home is checked and adjustments are made, it will be safe for any future occupants.

"I absolutely think the checks would be beneficial to (students) now and for years to come," Carswell said.

He said the assessments give people skills to carry with them wherever they move, because they will know to address the different security issues the checks focus on.

Anyone interested can contact Carswell at 334-501-3122.

Share and discuss “Police offer citizens home-security checks” on social media.