Summer construction wraps to prepare for new semester

Fences and machinery block the view of the Beard-Eaves Coliseum facing the Auburn Arena. Work continues on the new Student Recreation complex, scheduled to open in 2013. (Rebecca Croomes /Assistant Photo Editor)

Campus construction has been widespread this semester, but look for things to get a little better in the fall.

While various construction projects have been underway for about two months, most are projected to be completed by the fall or shortly after, according to Scott Fuller, director of construction management services.

"We have had approximately 20 or so projects during the summer semester," Fuller said. "Most are scheduled to be done before the fall semester begins."

The biggest construction project during the summer has been the demolition of Beard-Eaves Coliseum to make way for the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, which is slated for completion in May 2013.

Fuller added that even with the construction, he believes any inconvenience to the community has been minimized greatly.

"Obviously, we are trying to end all of this construction before the fall or, more so, football season," Fuller said. "However, I think that we have minimized most of the effects it has had on parking and pedestrian and vehicular traffic."

Construction around campus can be frustrating to some.

According to Mark Aderholdt, director of design services, some very simple measures have been taken in order to help with pedestrian traffic.

"With most of our construction, we have put signs up all around to help students and pedestrians get around," Aderholdt said. "These signs can help with directing people or providing them with alternative routes to their destinations."

Sarah Smith, an employee with Auburn University Facilities Management, said she thinks summer is a crucial time for campus construction.

"During the planning and design process for each project, we carefully consider not only the benefit of the new construction for the students and faculty, but the timing and locational impact of the construction process," she said.

Smith said this is where the benefit of summer comes into play, since the student population is reduced by about two-thirds during the summer.

"Overall, campus construction is going very well and we are pleased with the progress," Smith said. "The Facilities Management Team has been very diligent in their efforts to get all of this construction done in a timely manner, and we hope to eventually meet everyone's needs."

Share and discuss “Summer construction wraps to prepare for new semester” on social media.