UPC holds Haitian cooking workshop

University Program Council is giving students the chance to spice up their meals with a Haitian cooking workshop Saturday at 5:30 p.m. in Spidle Hall, Room 238.

"We try to offer a diverse variety of events, and it's one that is extremely popular, so we keep on offering them," said UPC president Anne Smead, senior in public administration.

UPC based the workshop on Tracy Kidder's "Mountains Beyond Mountains," this year's choice in Auburn's Common Book Program, which biographies the travels of a doctor combatting infectious disease and poor medical care in nations including Haiti.

Director of Special Events Kaitie Gallahue, junior in human development and family studies and nursing, said every workshop is interactive and hands-on, giving students the chance to learn new recipes.

"It's about being able to learn so many different techniques and getting to meet a bunch of new people," Gallahue said. "That's what college is all about: being introduced to new things."

Each cooking workshop is limited to 24 students who will be divided into six different stations.

After each station prepares an item from the menu, the dishes will be brought to a main table where everyone has the chance to taste each recipe.

Carol Duncan, professional chef and owner of Savory Solutions, and two assistants will be present to provide help and tips to students.

"I love watching students learn. It's a great age group to work with," Duncan said. "It's my passion--seeing them do what I love to do."

Students will be given a recipe packet of each dish made at the workshop.

The menu will include fried plantains, coconut soup with cilantro and lime, Caribbean spiced pork tenderloin, coconut lime sorbet and various other Haitian foods.

A waitlist is available in Student Center Office 3149 if the class is full.

The next cooking workshop will be Oct. 20 and will feature a menu of healthy foods.

Share and discuss “UPC holds Haitian cooking workshop” on social media.