Men's golf voted No. 1 team in the country

For the first time in Auburn history, the Tigers are ranked the No. 1 team in the nation in Golf World magazine's coaches' poll.

The poll combines the resources of Golf World magazine, Nike Golf and the Golf Coaches Association of America.

The full results of the poll are in the Oct. 3 issue of Golf World and can also be found on Golf World's website.

Auburn jumped from No. 9 in the previous rankings to supplant UCLA as the top team.

The highest the Tigers placed in previous polls was No. 6 in February 2005.

Other ranked teams from the SEC include Alabama (T-5), Arkansas (9), Florida (10), Georgia (T-16), Tennessee (19) and LSU (22).

Auburn vaulted to the top of the rankings due to a string of successful tournaments.

The Tigers won the Carpet Classic Invitational despite No. 1 seed Blayne Barber, junior in finance, not playing, and the team tied for second at the Olympia Fields/Fighting Illini Invitational.

Fresh off a No. 1 ranking, the men's golf team placed fourth in the 2011 Jerry Pate Invitational in Vestavia Hills Wednesday.

The Tigers took fourth behind the Texas Longhorns who carded a cumulative four under par for the tournament.

The Alabama Crimson Tide and the Clemson Tigers tied for second at 16 over, while the Tigers finished at 24 over.

The Tigers added to their 11-tournament streak of top-four finishes, shooting a 287 on the final day.

Coach Nick Clinard was not satisfied with the result of the tournament, but is eager to prepare for the next one.

"We played poorly and we have many areas to improve on, which include our patience and mental toughness," Clinard said. "We will get back after it in a few days, and I am excited to work hard with the guys the next two weeks."

Will McCurdy, senior in radio, television and film, led the Tigers with rounds of 70, 72 and 71, placing 10th at three over par.

McCurdy leads the squad with a 71.78 scoring average.

Barber finished with two rounds of even par and one round of 78 to claim 19th individually.

Barber has placed in the top 20 nine times in a row.

The Tigers are off for two weeks before traveling to Atlanta for the U.S. Collegiate Championship.

Share and discuss “Men's golf voted No. 1 team in the country” on social media.