Natural autumn sights, colors inspire indoor decorating

Plants like goldenrod can be used in arrangements. (Raye May / ASSOCIATE INTRIGUE EDITOR)

Budget or no budget, decorating with the colors and sights of the season can be done.

"The most important thing to remember when decorating for fall is to use live foliage and plants, not artificial ones," said Katherine Bailey, interior designer and owner of Moxii, a decorating shop on College Street.

Decorating with gourds is a wise investment because they can also be used in delicious recipes.

"Ten to 12 gourds combined with fall foliage can become an elegant, but natural centerpiece or mantle decoration," Bailey said.

Vases and bowls add to these arrangements and can be inexpensive.

"It's OK to repurpose a few things within your home for fall decor," Bailey said. "Vintage vases or milk bottles of all shapes and sizes filled with decor from your yard. Sticks, acorns, branches of turning leaves, even goldenrod can be beautiful in a vase."

Seasonal plants and flowers can be used to make easy, inxpensive arrangements.

"Right now the prettiest things out there are the mums," said Caleb Mediros, designer at The Flower Store. "They are a very inexpensive flower. Daisies are also a pretty flower right now."

Mediros said indoor flower arrangements usually last about a week and a half, while outdoor mums can last for about a month, depending on the mum.

Reds, oranges and yellows are the classic fall colors, but this year try using a few unique accent colors instead.

"Burnt orange, metallic and teal are the popular colors this fall," Bailey said. "A great way to pull these colors into your home are through throw pillows on your chairs and sofa."

Don't skip over small ideas that add a lot to the home. Pull out soaps, coffee flavors, linens and more everyday things that represent the season.

Share and discuss “Natural autumn sights, colors inspire indoor decorating” on social media.