Walking on wild side

Patterned and colorful tights add flair to many outfits. (Raye May / ASSOCIATE INTRIGUE EDITOR)

Tights have become a fashion trend rather than just a means of keeping warm.

Patterned tights and leggings started to become popular last year.

Mary Whisenhunt, freshman in apparel merchandising and employee at Therapy in downtown Auburn, recommends girls with a unique fashion sense to wear patterned tights.

"To wear patterned tights you have to have to have a funky style," Whisenhunt said. "It really depends on the generation of girls."

Patterened tights can be worn for a number of occasions.

"Usually you can wear them on a night out, such as a going-out outfit," said Capi Jenkins, sophomore in anthropology and art history and employee at Behind the Glass.

"You can wear the patterned tights with a really nice, drapey dress and really stand out and be unique."

Jenkins said the trend is catching on quickly.

"They're pretty in style right now, and if they don't sell out fast then it's because people don't know how to wear them," Jenkins said.

Whisenhunt recommends limiting the number of designs used in the outfit so the patterns do not clash.

"You can wear them with all types of bottoms," Jenkins said. "Usually a solid if they're patterned tights."

Whisenhunt also said certain tights can have a flattering or detrimental effect on a female's figure.

"I say that they can definitely lengthen your legs," Jenkins said.

Share and discuss “Walking on wild side” on social media.