Art show gives local artists exposure

Mary Iraggi and local jewelry designer Kate Kirby (left) model some of Kirby's pieces, which are sold at The Villager. Kirby is one of 10 local artists who will be featured at the Nov. 25-27 show. (Christen Harned / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

Auburn talents will be on display Iron Bowl weekend, but not just in Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The Villager in downtown Auburn will display the work of local artists Nov. 25-27.

"We're going to feature about 10 local artists that weekend," said Kathy Taylor Myles, gallery manager at the Villager. "Some will be here Friday, others will be here Saturday, and a few will be in the store Sunday. We've got everything represented, from jewelry, painting, wood, pottery, prints."

Myles said the Villager chose the weekend specifically to showcase local talents.

"Small Business Saturday is Nov. 26, and every year we have artist shows on home-game weekends," Myles said. "When we were trying to plan for artist shows throughout the season we just thought, 'What better people to bring in that day than local artists?'"

The artists' works are not only for display.

"Everything is for sale," Myles said. "Artists will be bringing new pieces as well as the things we have of theirs already."

Some of the artists are Auburn students, and they all live in Auburn or have ties to the University.

"I've been making jewelry since high school, so that's like 10 years for me now," said Kate Kirby, graduate student in sports nutrition. "I had a bunch of jewelry I had made for a local art show, and I had some left over. I thought about asking the Villager to take it, and they did. They're very, very nice, very gracious with their artists."

Kirby isn't the only artist grateful for the opportunity to showcase works at the Villager.

"I work mainly in oil on canvas and have a lot of still-life, impressionistic style painting, some local type things: landscapes, Toomer's Corner oaks, that kind of thing," said Kathy Miller, who has shown her art at the Villager for more than three years.

Miller said she appreciates how supportive the Villager is of local artists.

"They are very supportive of everything in the community," she said. "They are great to work with because they are very professional. Everybody there knows everything about what's in the store, the art, the artists they sell there. I think they are a great asset to the community."

Myles said the store will have special deals and extended hours all weekend so visitors can start on their Christmas shopping.

"That's what we're really hoping," she said, "that people can just find some really unique, fun Christmas gifts."

Myles said there are a wide variety of items in the gallery for purchase.

"We specialize in handmade American art," she said. "We were inspired to have these local artists, and with Auburn-Alabama, it just goes along with that."

Share and discuss “Art show gives local artists exposure” on social media.