Fall flowers provide extra bloom

Snapdragons are a reliable flower to plant during the fall and can be purchased at Blooming Colors. (Maria Iampietro / PHOTO EDITOR)

Don't put away your spade and shovel just yet--there are still flowers to be planted before winter comes.

Although fall may not be the best season to add to the garden, there are various plants that can survive until spring.

Gabe Mitchell, employee at Blooming Colors, said the pansy is one of the most popular and resilient fall flowers.

Mitchell said pansies are popular because they come in more than 50 different colors, as well as a miniature version, the viola.

"Most plants in season right now need to be planted in window boxes or in the ground.," Mitchell said. "You don't need to put (pansies) in anything else."

For penny-saving students, the best plants to purchase are mums, another popular choice at Blooming Colors and The Flower Store.

"Some students like to use them for their tailgates to spruce them up a bit," Mitchell said.

Mums are also easy to take care of, only needing water and the pot they are planted in.

He also said mums will not last until spring, and when their blooms die they will be ready to toss.

Carolyn Chen, employee at The Flower Store and junior in graphic design, said orchids are an option to save throughout the fall and winter until spring.

"Most orchids won't last in the cold weather, but if you save them till spring, they will bloom again," Chen said.

Students with a green thumb can try their hand at planting new perennials and trees, as fall is the best time to do so. Snapdragons, winter flowers named after their shape when opening and closing, and ivy are also reliable in the fall, according to Blooming Colors.

If indoor planting sounds more appealing, rieger begonias and cyclamen are low on maintenance, Mitchell said, and they also provide indoor greenery at a low cost.

Share and discuss “Fall flowers provide extra bloom” on social media.