Meditation keeps instructor sane

Barrett "Bear" Townsend teaches a yoga pose to the students in his class. (Maria Iampietro / PHOTO EDITOR)

The sound of water bubbling within a cavern fills the room as Barrett "Bear" Townsend begins yoga class.

Townsend, junior in software engineering, breaks all the rules on what is considered the typical frat boy stereotype.

Townsend was first introduced to yoga in high school by a teammate from his football team.

"We used a yoga for athletes DVD, and we would do that at his house," Townsend said. "I got into it at Auburn through the typical yoga class that I went to with a friend and his girlfriend."

Townsend said his true passion for yoga began the fall of his freshman year.

Townsend has had some funny encounters when telling people he is a yoga instructor.

"I'm in a fraternity, and I used to catch a lot of crap from the kids in my fraternity because I was the kid that did yoga," Townsend said. "And then I got certified, and I have a class, and I get paid for it. They all get really excited when someone mentions yoga."

Townsend said the best person to talk to about starting a class is Pam Wiggins, a certified YogaFit instructor for campus recreation.

Other than the money from teaching the class, Townsend said he receives countless benefits from yoga.

"Specifically, it's a huge flexibility thing, and I want to have all kinds of healthy facets in my life because of all that I do," Townsend said.

Yoga also helps Townsend stay in shape to teach a kettle bell class--a weight-based cardio class.

"Because of that, I need to stay flexible," Townsend said.

However, the meditation aspect of yoga is a huge part of why Townsend likes it so much.

"The big thing with the meditation is that it keeps me sane," Townsend said. "Having five to ten minutes during the day to relax can get my mind right and keep on going on."

Townsend said practice makes perfect.

"With enough practice you won't even have to think about each position," Townsend said.

Students have found Townsend's classes to be relaxing and physically beneficial.

"I like the music and the concept of how he teaches, where he tries to help us relax," said Honami Abe, graduate student in athletic training.

Yoga is more than a relaxation excerise.

"I chose yoga because it's not only a chance to improve myself physically, but mentally and spiritually because of the breathing exercises and meditation included in the course," said Megan Reynolds, freshman in French and mathematics.

Townsend said his definition of yoga varies from the original definition: a physical way to enter a spiritual or mental meditation.

"My definition of yoga is a mind-body connection that you can find doing physical activity," Townsend said. "So for me, doing yoga is doing any physical act that let's your mind run free."

Townsend said yoga to him doesn't necessarily entail attending a whole class.

"It could be stretching when I wake up or just kind of laying there and thinking about my day," Townsend said. "Yoga is the activity for me that let's me explore the inside of my mind."

Reynolds also focuses on the physical benefits yoga provides for her.

"It's physically empowering because you get to improve your muscles and strength and flexibility," Reynolds said. "It's an all-around perfect workout for your body and mind."

Share and discuss “Meditation keeps instructor sane” on social media.