Your View: Organic foods a part of our local economy, not just a fad

The organic food trend has been going strong since it began nine years ago.

I know I am guilty of buying into the idea that organic means healthy, and without that USDA certified sticker on the label I am not very likely to buy it regardless of what the title says.

I am willing to pay twice as much for something that has that USDA stamp of approval on it, but what exactly does this stamp mean? The USDA describes organic food as something that has been "produced through approved methods that integrate cultural, biological and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation and genetic engineering may not be used."

In other words, organic food is naturally grown and benefits the environment in many ways. Organic foods do have many advantages, and the successful marketing for these products has made many of us realize the importance of not having chemicals or pesticides on our foods.

Organic foods are very popular many places, especially somewhere like Auburn University where there are many students who fit into the "granola" stereotype, meaning that some of their concerns are the Earth and the health of their bodies. Because there is such a high demand and consumers like myself are willing to pay twice as much for these certified products, farmers everywhere want this stamp.

The seal of approval allows the individual buyer to know that this product is held up to USDA standards, but it is important to know that it comes with a steep price. While the process of growing things naturally is good for the environment, the process of getting these organic foods to the stores where you shop is not.

In many stores the produce that is certified organic is from places all across the country, some as far as California. In order to get these foods to Auburn they have to drive or fly the product en masse across the nation. By the time the food arrives here it is not as fresh and has possibly been damaged on the trip. This process often ends up leaving a larger ecological footprint than the positive effects it has on the environment.

The bottom line is that the idea that eating organic helps the environment is not always the case.

However, there is an alternative that helps the environment and keeps you healthy.

Locally grown foods are often produced in an organic fashion, but because the USDA organic seal is so expensive many farmers cannot afford to buy the stamp.

There are some grocery stores that I am sure sell locally grown items, but they may be hard to find. Fortunately, there are things like farmers' markets that sell various things from local farmers to help support these individuals who cannot afford to get the seal of approval from the USDA.

So the next time you are out to purchase something that has the possibility to help the environment and yourself, stop and see where the item is from. I know in Auburn there is the Blooming Colors market that has many options for fresh fruit and vegetables. They also have different sauces, chips, and other items that are mostly local.

When the weather is warm there is a farmers' market that sets up Thursday afternoons by the red barn near campus and sells locally grown products. There are so many ways we can support our local economy, we just have to look for them.

Meagan Barker

junior, social work

Share and discuss “Your View: Organic foods a part of our local economy, not just a fad” on social media.