Balancing the college life

Many college students, barred down by classes, studying or work have trouble managing their time effectively.

Just how much free time should a student have?

"Balancing free time and time management in general is one of the largest challenges," said Meg Heinicke, doctoral student in experimental psychology.

In 2010, the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics conducted an American Time Use Survey.

"On an average day, nearly everyone age 15 and over engaged in some sort of leisure activity," the survey concluded.

Men averaged 5.8 hours of leisure activity per-day, and women averaged 5.1 hours.

This means most Americans have around 38 hours of free time every week, but many feel their to-do lists are never accomplished.

Fortunately, there are ways to improve time management skills and relieve the stress that is often associated with lingering deadlines.

"I make a list of all the things I need to do. Then I prioritize the list and I go from there," said Lauren Isbell, senior in human resource management.

Isbell's list-making method is a simplified approach to David Allen's management system, "Getting Things Done."

GTD is designed for both individuals and organizations in need of better time-management skills. Starbucks Coffee Company, General Mills Inc., Polo Ralph Lauren Corp., even the U.S. Army and Air Force are among the believers of Allen's guidelines, which have helped him sell more than 1 million books and gain nearly 1.3 million followers on Twitter.

Deciding on a time-management strategy can help eliminate mental and physical stress.

Heinicke said she has experienced the effects a lack of free time can bring.

"I have actually passed out two times in graduate school because of exhaustion," she said.

If a list-making approach is not for you, perhaps The Pomodoro Technique is more fitting. Francesco Cirillo was inspired to create this method while he was a student.

Designed to help its users accomplish tasks under the rule of a ticking tomato-shaped kitchen timer, The Pomodoro Technique can be split into five simple steps.

To begin, a task must be chosen. Next, the user sets the pomodoro--the Italian word for tomato--to 25 minutes. When the pomodoro rings, take a short break, and every four sets, take a longer break.

"For me, I think it's important to have a schedule. I work better when I know what I need to do to accomplish a task. So planning for the week ahead is always a great way to balance free time and work," said Rachael Estes, senior in psychology.

"I take about 15 to 30 minutes to look at what I need to do to have a successful week or day," Estes said.

You shouldn't be expected to use all of your free time catching on tasks, however.

"Engaging in activities that you find to be reinforcing is definitely necessary to decrease your stress level," Heinicke said.

For more information on the time management techniques mentioned, visit davidco.com and pomodorotechnique.com

Share and discuss “Balancing the college life” on social media.