Ex-boyfriend, student suspect in burglary, arson case

Autumn Goletz returned to her home Thursday to find her front door forced open. Inside she found destroyed possessions, fire damage, smoke damage and five dead puppies.

Goletz lives with her young daughter in Windover Farm, a mobile home park on Lee County Road 12. She called police yesterday afternoon and waited on her front lawn for three hours while they inspected her home.

"The police said it was someone who knew what they were doing," said Lisa Carroll, junior in animal sciences pre-vet and a friend of Goletz's.

Hal David Moore, junior in pre-business, is Goletz's ex boyfriend and a suspect in the case. It's possible Moore is a firefighter for the Auburn Fire Department, but Fire Chief Lee Lamar declined to comment, citing personnel issues.

Police Chief Thomas Dawson said Moore turned himself in late Thursday evening and was charged with eight felonies: second degree arson, third degree burglary, five counts of first degree cruelty to animals and criminal mischief. Moore's bond was set at $18,500, which he posted that evening.

Carroll said Moore only set fire to Goletz's bed, and that the two broke up about six months ago, but had seen each other recently.

"We're not sure why he did it, but we think it's jealousy," Carroll said.

Goletz and Carroll said they think Moore had been drinking. They also said police found blood in the home, supposedly from a cut Moore received on his hand while wrecking Goletz's living room.

Despite her damaged home and property, the stress and the task of saving and cleaning what she can, Goletz said nothing unkind about her ex.

"He's a good guy," she said.

Carroll, who was helping Goletz clean, said that Moore apparently removed the mother of the puppies out before he set fire to the bedroom, but failed to remove her puppies.

"One of the puppies was in the cage with her, so we don't know if he didn't see it or what," Carroll said.

No date has been set for Moore's preliminary hearing.

Share and discuss “Ex-boyfriend, student suspect in burglary, arson case” on social media.