Owen Parrish wins SGA presidential election

Owen Parrish was elected SGA president after taking 48 percent of the votes Tuesday.

"I feel kind of crazy right now," Parrish said. "I can't believe this happened. I'm so indebted to so many of my friends, so thankful for what they did. I can't even express how humbling this is and how proud I am of all my friends ... We're just gonna celebrate for a little while and then get started with the work."

Joseph Cortopassi, who won 2,123 votes, was the closest candidate to Parrish, who won 3,621 votes. Parrish said he's going to work with current SGA President Kirby Turnage to implement his platform.

"I'm going to start working on the Caribou Coffee in Lowder and the frozen yogurt in the Village because I've been working on that for about a week and a half now," he said.

Turnage said he's happy with the results and the process.

"I think the student body showed up--32 percent turnout, which is great," he said. "I think we're all obviously shocked it wasn't a runoff in the presidential race. I think the Parrish campaign did a great job. His whole team was very impressive. I was excited to see we had two non-Greek candidates this year, as well. I think it's good for the student body to see that it's more than just Greek leaders."

Cary Bayless and Will McCartney were the two non-Greek presidential candidates.

Melanie Smith was elected vice president with 4,666 votes, Richard Pettey was elected treasurer with 4,021 votes and Libby Lukens was elected Miss Auburn, but the number of votes in that race wasn't reported.

Check the print edition of The Auburn Plainsman Thursday for more coverage.

Share and discuss “Owen Parrish wins SGA presidential election” on social media.