SGA plans to add 50 new bike racks

As Auburn continues to strive for a bike-friendly campus, Student Government Association, in partnership with Facilities Management, has announced the installation of 50 new bike racks that will be available in the fall.

After several discussions over the course of a year, facilities has agreed to fund the SGA proposal.

"We just recognized the need for more bike racks on campus," said Owen Parrish, SGA assistant vice president of facilities.

The project is estimated to cost $90,000, said Gail Riese, communications and marketing specialist for Facilities Management.

Parrish said SGA will determine the current use of bike racks at Haley Center, the Student Center and the Village and gather student feedback to provide location recommendations to facilities by the end of next month.

Emmanuel Winston, senior in radio, television and film, said he's been riding a bike since his freshman year and has noticed the bike racks are always full.

He said he uses a bike rack when one's available, but doesn't have one at all of his classes.

Parrish said the project helps accomplish Facilities Management's goal of having uniformity across campus by replacing old bike racks and adding to new ones already installed.

Winston said he approves of the new standard bike rack.

"They're real good." Winston said. "They're convenient, they're quick and they're a lot faster than the old ones."

As of July 15 of last year, 315 bikes were registered with Auburn University Parking Services, Riese said.

Parrish said high gas prices and parking difficulties on campus, as well as the convenience of riding a bike to class, has led to more bikes on campus.

Reise added that biking reduces campus traffic, parking demands and promotes sustainability.

SGA is expecting more bike riders next fall with the start of Auburn's bike sharing program, Parrish said, another reason to ensure an adequate number of bike racks.

"It's not a huge project, but it's a positive difference for people who ride their bikes," Parrish said.

"And bikes are becoming highly trafficked as an option of getting to class."

Share and discuss “SGA plans to add 50 new bike racks” on social media.