Auburn knocks off LSU on Senior Day

The Auburn Tiger Men's basketball team defeated the LSU Tigers 67-52 Saturday afternoon.

Auburn improves to 15-15 overall and 5-11 in SEC play. The fifth SEC victory surpasses Auburn's SEC total wins from last season.

LSU drops to 17-13 overall and 7-9 in SEC play.

Both teams will compete in the SEC tournament in New Orleans next week. As of press time, the tournament field has yet to be finalized.

"More than anything, I'm proud of these seniors," said Auburn coach Tony Barbee. "For guys like Kenny, Adrian and Jake, when you're on the front end of a new coach take over and you are apart of that rebuilding phase, I am more than thankful that those guys gave me a chance to coach them. I'm proud that they went on with a win on their senior day and showed this crowd that they are winners."

The game started with Kenny Gabriel knocking down a jump shot, which led him to finish with 14 points and five rebounds. Junior guard Frankie Sullivan, who finished with 22 points and five rebounds, converted a layup to put Auburn up 6-4 with 16:52 left. Auburn never trailed after that point.

"There's nothing like it," Sullivan said. " I think that with us winning this game and going to the SEC tournament will give us a little motivation. We can play with anybody. We've been doing it all year. We just need to do it for 40 minutes."

Auburn opened the second half with junior Rob Chubb and Sullivan combining for Auburn's first five buckets. Auburn shot 42.6 percent from the field and 72 percent from the line on the game. LSU shot 34 percent from the field and 52 percent form the line. LSU's leading scorers were Ralston Turner and John Isaac, who combined for 23 points.

Drum, who is a walk on, subbed in late on in the second half to the delight of the Auburn Arena crowd. Drum made two free throws, which were his first points of the season.

This Auburn victory ties for the fourth most home victories in Auburn history.

Auburn is slated to take on Ole Miss, the No. 7 seed, in the SEC Tournament in New Orleans Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “Auburn knocks off LSU on Senior Day” on social media.