Modern dance comes to Opelika

Pilobolus Dance Theatre will perform at the Opelika Center for the Performing Arts March 29 at 7:30 p.m.

Matt Kent, associate artistic director for Pilobolus, said it is a program everyone can enjoy.

"If you've never seen dance before, this is the show to go see," Kent said. "It's diverse and it's accessible."

Kent said because Pilobolus does not focus on traditional ballet and modern dance vocabulary, it appeals to a wide range of people.

"There's a lot of athleticism and a lot of humor," Kent said. "You're going to laugh. You're going to feel something and be amazed with some of the illusions."

Tickets are $40 for adults, $35 for seniors and $26 for students, but discounts for students are available from the OCPA's office.

Founded 41 years ago at Dartmouth College, Pilobolus has achieved international recognition and has been featured in Hyundai's Santa Fe car commercial.

The show was also involved with the music video for the song "All is Not Lost" by the band OK Go, which led to a Grammy nomination.

Phillip Preston, director of The Arts Association of East Alabama, works to bring a variety of national and international touring groups to the OCPA.

Each season the AAEA plans a schedule of performances including dance troupes, Broadway musicals and symphony orchestras to bring to the region, Preston said.

Preston attended Pilobolus performances at the Joyce Theater in New York City last year and saw many of the different routines.

"That was very helpful when it came time to customize the program that they will do for us here on (Saturday)," Preston said.

The Pilobolus performance in Opelika will feature a routine choreographed in collaboration with the students and faculty at the Distributed Robotics Laboratory of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The routine, named Seraph, includes remote-controlled flying robots for a combination of technology and art, Preston said.

"It's not your mother's ballet," Preston said.

The collaborations with choreographers and people outside the dance world lead to different types of productions, Kent said.

"We like to work with a lot of different kinds of other groups that aren't necessarily in the dance world," Kent said. "If you collaborate with people in your own field, you just do what you always do."

The performance in Opelika will also feature a collaboration with an expert in Japanese dance.

"Even when you work in the dance world, the collaborations create something interesting and unique," Kent said.

Pilobolus has also collaborated with writers, including Steven Banks, the lead writer for "Spongebob Squarepants," and other musicians and artists.

Amy Whittemore, junior in radio, television and film, said she is excited about the performance.

"I love all types of dance, and this just looks so unique," Whittemore said. "Plus, the performing arts center in Opelika always has good productions."

Pilobolus is scheduled to perform at the Opelika Center for the Performing Arts for one night. Tickets are available online at eastalabamaarts.org or by phone at 334-749-8105.

Share and discuss “Modern dance comes to Opelika” on social media.