Alpha Xi Delta lights it up blue

Alpha Xi Delta is bringing autism awareness to Auburn's campus in a bright way.

The sorority's Light It Up Blue event began Monday and will continue through Friday.

"We will be lighting up Cater Hall, Samford Hall and the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art blue to raise awareness for autism," said Kate Justement, philanthropy chair and freshman in anthropology.

Light It Up Blue is a national campaign sponsored by Autism Speaks.

"Many other iconic landmarks all over the world will be lit up blue to spread the word about autism," Justement said.

"We hope that by lighting up prominent landmarks across campus, people will see the blue lights and remember all those affected by autism."

Autism Speaks was started in 2005 by Suzanne and Bob Wright to research and develop innovative new resources for families affected by autism.

Alpha Xi Delta partnered with Autism Speaks in 2009.

"Autism is a disorder that is often overlooked, but in fact affects as many as one in 88 children in the United States," said Jennifer Newman, programs vice president and sophomore in microbiology.

The big push to help spread the word about their event took place Monday when the sorority passed out flyers for a benefit that night at Chill Frozen Yogurt, blue autism awareness ribbons and Gigi's Cupcakes.

"Twenty percent of the proceeds (from the Chill benefit night) will go to Autism Speaks when customers hand in a fundraiser flyer at the time of their purchase," Justement said.

The week's events include three speakers: Lisa Brasuell from The Learning Tree Inc., Spencer Lee, a father of a child with autism, and Jennifer Gillis, psychology professor at Auburn who does research with autism.

"At the ceremony we will be passing out more blue ribbons, will have blue glow sticks for those who attend and our beloved Aubie will be making an appearance," Justement said.

There are two reasons this is different from the other autism awareness events, Newman said.

"First, our event has tremendous community involvement when it comes to autism awareness," she said. "Many of the community members are affected by this disorder and they want their voice to be heard.

"Secondly, this event is to raise awareness for this disorder. For that reason we are handing out blue ribbons that both students and community members can place on their backpacks or purses to show their outward support for autism spectrum disorders."

Alpha Xi Delta hopes at least 300 people attend their Light It Up Blue events this year.

The sorority also hosts events like Step It Up AmaXIng Challenge, which consists of a 5K run or one-mile walk.

"Last fall we had a record 1200 registrants, and Aubie, SGA President Kirby Turnage, Auburn's mayor, Bill Ham, and Sen. Tom Whatley all participated in our opening ceremonies," Justement said.

"Within the last two years, Alpha Xi Delta at Auburn has raised more than $85,000 for Autism Speaks with this one AmaXIng Challenge."

Justement said her Alpha Xi sisters try to have a strong impact on autism awareness by helping the community in a variety of ways.

"We like to help out in the community through babysitting for families with autistic children and volunteering at the Lee County autism support group meetings," Justement said.

"This is something that we want to change within the Auburn community."

Share and discuss “Alpha Xi Delta lights it up blue” on social media.