Beatles cover band visits Opelika for second show

(Contributed)
(Contributed)

The Return, a Beatles cover band, will be performing April 28 at the Event Center Downtown in Opelika. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the concert will start at 7:30.

The band consists of Richard Stelling as John Lennon, Shane Landers as Paul McCartney, Michael Fulop as George Harrison and Adam Thurston as Ringo Starr.

Tickets are $20 if purchased in advance and $25 the day of the performance. Tables can also be reserved for $250 for 10 people or $100 for four people.

The Return formed in 1995 when they realized their shared love for the Beatles and wanted to play the songs together. Their first performance was in high school in Griffin, Ga., when a friend asked them to open for his band's album release party.

"We never meant to play any shows," Fulop said. "The crowd loved it, we loved it and we got asked that night to play a paid gig the following month."

During their first performance, the band decided it would be much cooler to act the part of the Beatles as well, Fulop said.

"We went to all the local thrift stores and picked up some black suits, combed our hair down as well as we could and used as many vintage instruments as we could for the show," Fulop said. "All of that was a surprise. We didn't tell anyone. We just showed up dressed and did the show."

The band's career has been flourishing ever since. They have played in venues across the globe, including Abbey Road Studios in London, where the original Beatles recorded much of their music.

"I thought I was cured of the nerves, but they came rushing back as soon as we started playing, just realizing that the Beatles spent so much time in that place," Fulop said.

For their Opelika performance, Fulop said the band will be performing Beatles music from their early days on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

"We dress up like them and have all the instruments," Fulop said. "Back when they wore the black suits and the mop tops."

Fulop said the Beatles have hundreds of great songs, and every album had great material.

"I was happy growing up if there were two or three songs on a CD I bought," Fulop said. "I picked up a Beatles' album and I liked all 14 songs. It was a new experience for me and grew into a huge love for the Beatles."

The performance is open to all ages, and Lisa Beck, owner of the Event Center Downtown, said she is excited to have The Return back for their second performance at the venue.

"It was such a good showing the first time, so people have asked us to bring them back," Beck said. "They're phenomenal. They sound just like the Beatles, and they look like them too."

Share and discuss “Beatles cover band visits Opelika for second show” on social media.