Goodwin says robbery 'was not my idea.'

According to his testimony, read this afternoon, Antonio Goodwin admitted he was present for the March 2011 armed robbery of a mobile home in Conway Acres.

"This was not my idea. Mike (McNeil) came and picked me up tonight. I was going to chill and do normal stuff," began Goodwin's testimony, which was read aloud by Jude Hackett, the lead detective for the case.

Evidence including a Hi-Point .45 pistol, a BB gun pistol, four black T-shirts, five leather gloves and a black jacket were retrieved from the suspects' vehicle in the early hours of March 11, 2010, and were introduced to the jury this afternoon.

Goodwin was present in the vehicle--a Chrysler 300 rental--along with fellow defendants Mike McNeil, Shaun Kitchens and Dakota Mosley when police officers, responding to a burglary report, pulled them over and arrested them.

Auburn detective Dentry Perkins said he was called at home to come examine and photograph the scene. After receiving signed consent by McNeil, who rented the car, Perkins and Hackett inspected the vehicle to retrieve evidence.

Assistant district attorney Kenny Gibbs showed the jury a video taken from a police dashboard camera the night of the burglary. Gibbs pointed out Antwoin Daniels, one of the officers who responded to the burglary. Daniels, who testified earlier today that he removed a stolen phone from Goodwin's pocket the night of the robbery, was a member of the Auburn football team with McNeil in 2007.

"I want to make it clear that we just wanted to scare them and none of us had any intentions of hurting anybody," Goodwin's testimony read.

Goodwin claimed he stayed in the front room of the trailer the entire time, with a BB gun at his side.

"I wasn't pointing it at anyone or anything," he said.

Hackett questioned the defendant and took his testimony within hours of his arrest.

Hackett said he did not ask Goodwin if he was under the influence of any drugs or alcohol before he began the interview.

Goodwin's attorney, Lauryn Lauderdale, wished to show her client was under the influence of a synthetic marijuana known as "spice" the night of the robbery.

Lauderdale's first defense witness was brought to the stand at the close of today's session. Joseph Petrone, director of sports medicine for Auburn University's Athletic Department, spoke briefly about his limited knowledge of "spice."

Petrone, who is responsible for drug education and testing for all Auburn athletes, answered Lauderdale's questions about University policies and said an amendment was added Aug. 1, 2011, to include synthetic drugs as a breach in policy.

The defense has subpoenaed several notable potential-witnesses, including football coach Gene Chizik. Judge Hughes said the trial will continue tomorrow at 8:30 a.m.

Share and discuss “Goodwin says robbery 'was not my idea.'” on social media.