Alumni walk lets students stand on history

Auburn alumni are able to purchase and inscribe a brick for the under-construction walkway of the Auburn Alumni Center. (Danielle Lowe / PHOTO EDITOR)

The Auburn Alumni Center began construction on its alumni walk on Monday, July 23.

The walk will be composed of inscribed bricks placed in the walkway of the alumni center's south portico facing South College St. and the proceeds will fund scholarships through the Auburn Alumni Association Endowment for Student Scholarships.

Debbie Shaw, vice president of alumni affairs and executive director of the Auburn Alumni Association, said the project has a goal of donating $400,000 to the endowment.

According to Shaw, as of Friday, July 20, 208 pavers were sold, and 80 scholarships have been awarded for the upcoming 2012-2013 academic year.

Shaw said she and her affiliates are always looking for ways to raise money for student scholarships, and that's one of the main objectives of the alumni walk.

"It's an opportunity for alumni of Auburn to purchase a paver for a lot of different reasons; everything from just recognizing a graduate, to a memorial, or just [for being] a great Auburn fan," said John Raiford, coordinator of building operations and supervisor of the building process. "You can purchase a paver to recognize just about any event or person."

Anyone is eligible to purchase a brick directly through the Alumni Center, and three sizes are available.

A 4 x 8 inch standard brick costs $200; a 8 x 8 inch bluestone brick costs $500; and a 12 x 12 inch granite brick costs $1,000.

"I think what makes our program unique is that the paver project is open for all alumni. It's for friends of Auburn, [and] it's not limited. It's for anyone who would like to have a paver engraved for their lifetime," Shaw said. "When you come back to campus, you'll be able to come to the alumni center, which of course is where we want all our graduates to return, and see your name on a paver or those of friends or family."

The project will be on-going and interested donors are still able to purchase a brick after the first phase.

Raiford said he expects the project to have three phases of completion and that the initial construction to be completed by the first home football game.

Raiford also said the construction process will be documented through photographs and pictures of the individual pavers will be sent to the owner.

A grid will also be made available to help identify the area where the individual's paver is located.

Scholarships are awarded to incoming freshmen and transfer students who have at least one parent or guardian who is an Auburn alumni and a life member of the Auburn Alumni Association.

The incoming student must also meet academic requirements set by the association when entering the University.

For more information on the alumni walk, contact Project Manager Kate Larkin at (334) 844-1149 or kateasburylarkin@auburn.edu.

Share and discuss “Alumni walk lets students stand on history” on social media.