Residents take flight at new yoga studio

From left to right: Yogafly instructors Kate Kirby, Peach Dumars and Jessica Carry. (Contributed)

Monday, July 9, saw the opening of Auburn’s first pure yoga studio.
Located downtown, the Yogafly studio is nestled in a loft above Behind the Glass clothing boutique.
There, customers can flex, bend and find inner peace while looking through the window onto the bustle of Magnolia Street below.
However, the name Yogafly doesn’t refer to feeling you get from leaning too far over the street, according to co-owner Peach Dumars.
“That’s our motto because [in] this style of yoga we teach you feel like you’re flying,” Dumars said. “You breathe; you move quickly; and when you get into the flow it’s like a beautiful dance.”
Dumars and her business partner Jessica Carry both moved to Auburn to support their husbands’ careers, and now they have begun their own.
They, along with Auburn native Kate Kirby, teach three different styles of yoga.
The power vinyasa class is a dynamic, flowing style of yoga, according to Dumars, and it will make you sweat your stress away while binding your breathing to your movements.
The second option, called slow flow, is less comprehensive and focuses on building towards one peak, advanced postion.
Lastly, the three offer yin yoga, which is a passive, relaxing style of yoga highlighted by deep stretches.
While the classes sound unusual, Dumars points out that each class is a balance of the relaxation of meditation and the intensity of a workout.
“I would not describe one class as being easier than the others [...,] but they challenge you in totally different ways,” Dumars said.
Due to their recent opening, Yogafly is also offering a special $12 for 12 days deal where customers can go to as many yoga classes as they want in a 12-day span.
One such member, Aaron Nette, senior in nursing, has been to four classes so far and enjoys the classes’ quality.
“[The instructors] are great, knowledgeable and very non judgemental towards my inflexibility,” Nette said.
The location downtown is also a positive in his eyes.
“It’s a really good class, and it’s really close to where I live,” Nette said. “I enjoy it a lot.”
For those who think yoga is simply lying on the floor meditating, Dumars contests that their classes offer a bit more than expected.
“It’s not your mama’s yoga. Come give it a chance,” Dumars said. “[We] bring a lot of fun and funk to the class.”
For more information on Yogafly, visit their Facebook page.

Share and discuss “Residents take flight at new yoga studio” on social media.