Railyard and Standard Deluxe aim to redefine typical night on the town

Outskirts (from left: Sierra Farr, Brian McLeod and Lisa Taylor) get set to rock out during the Opelika Shidig Saturday evening. The party was to celebrate local artists, vendors and musical talent at The Railyard, a gallery and exhibition space in downtown Opelika. (Rebecca Croomes / PHOTO EDITOR)

Only good things seem to be developing when the owners of The Railyard and Standard Deluxe combine their ideas to bring music from local musicians to the surrounding area of Auburn.

"Richard Patton (owner of The Railyard) and I have been putting on shows for the last 15-20 years," said Standard Deluxe owner Scott Peek. "We didn't want to overlap shows in Opelika and Waverly on the same nights and thought the best way to get crowds would be to join forces and collaborate."

The atmosphere of both The Railyard and Standard Deluxe is different from the typical bar scene, as these upcoming events are intended to bring the community together to support Auburn's talent.

"The Railyard is a place where we share many creative talents and the expression of those through music, art, et cetera," Patton said.

Last Saturday night's Opelika Shindig--Back to School Bash at The Railyard launched the first of many concerts Patton and Peek have planned for several weekends this fall in either Opelika or Waverly.

Patton said he and Peek wanted the Shindig to focus more on the local talent from Opelika, Auburn and Auburn University.

"We want to promote and encourage our community to get out there and support live music, art events, theatre, restaurants, night life and all things where people are showcasing their gifts," Patton said.

The three local bands that played at the Shindig--Adventure the Great, Outskirts and Lonely Wolves--consist mostly of students and "fit together well and fit the show," according to Patton.

"This night (the Shindig) was designed to be a showcase and gathering of the art community here in the area," said Chandler Jones of Adventure the Great. "I'm just excited to be a part of it."

Capi Jenkins, another member of Adventure the Great, agreed.

"After spending the summer touring in cities where no one knew us or heard our music before, we felt mighty blessed to be met with an enthusiastic and energetic crowd," said Jenkins. "I was just happy to be there."

On Friday, Nashville native Bobby Bare Jr. will be playing at The Railyard. Bare has toured with bands like My Morning Jacket, Dr. Dog and the Drive-By Truckers.

The infamous Waverly Boogie, known as a spring event, will become a semi-annual event Sept. 29.

WEGL 91.1 will be a main sponsor of the Fall Boogie, and the all-day event will feature several bands and food vendors.

"I just encourage everyone to check and see what is going on in the community because there are so many opportunities to see some amazing people and what they do creatively," Patton said.

To see the full list of events to come at The Railyard and Standard Deluxe, visit the Standard Deluxe Facebook page.

Share and discuss “Railyard and Standard Deluxe aim to redefine typical night on the town” on social media.