New WEGL radio station attracts fans from abroad

WEGL has introduced a weekly, student health focused radio show called "BeWellRadio" which will air Wednesdays at 10 a.m. (Courtesy of WEGL 91.1 FM)

WEGL has introduced a weekly, student health focused radio show called "BeWellRadio."

The show will air Wednesdays at 10 a.m.

"I don't really know any other health radio show that's out there," said Brittany Loper, co-host and sexual health specialist in health promotion and wellness services.

The staff of the show includes Loper; Blake Marble, co-host and alcohol and drug specialist in health promotion and wellness services; Eric Smith, co-host and director of promotion of health and wellness services; and Matt Ingram, a production engineer for the show and social media and communications director of promotion of health and wellness services.

Topics of the show include everything from dealing with stress, figuring out how to get enough sleep and which health-related apps work best.

"Each (co-host) took an app and tried it out for a week and recorded the pros and cons, our experience, how it actually helped us and how it helped us reach our goals," Loper said.

Professors and local experts in the field make appearances on the show.

"Next week is all about relationships and love, so we are bringing in some people from the marriage and family center (on campus) to talk about relationships," Smith said.

Health-themed music is played in between segments to break up the amount of talking.

"For example, for the app topic, it was right around the time of the Olympics so we played 'Chariots of Fire' and 'Born to Run,'" Marble said. "We play roughly four songs an hour."

Students can voice their opinions or ask questions through BeWellRadio's Twitter account, @auburnhealth.

BeWellRadio also holds weekly trivia contests where the winners receive BeWellRadio-themed prizes.

"You can win anything from a T-shirt to water bottles," Loper said.

Auburn students and faculty are not the only ones listening in.

Smith said they have noticed people listening all the way from Maryland and recently discovered an unexpected follower on their Twitter account.

"The only other college radio that was doing a health-focused radio show was out of the U.K., who just started following us on Twitter," Smith said.

BeWellRadio began broadcasting before the school year started to make sure the hosts knew how everything worked.

"We're always trying to come up with new ideas," Smith said. "We wanted to see what's not going to work out, what's the best format and how we manage inside the studio."

Smith said they are going to start re-airing shows on Sunday nights and see how they do.

"If lots of people listen to us on Sunday, we could possibly get more airtime during the week," Smith said.

Landing a time slot for a show on WEGL is as easy as presenting a creative idea, Smith said.

"We were basically like 'Hey, we got an idea, can we do a radio show about college student health, is that possible?' And (WEGL) was like 'Yeah, sure that's possible!'" Smith said.

Marble reiterated that if any student wants to start a radio show they can have one; they just have to be different.

"If you bring something unique to the table and there's a time slot available, they're going to let you on the air," Marble said.

Ingram already works with another show on WEGL's radio station.

"I started a sports talk show and all I did was go through Dafni (Greene)," Ingram said. "Basically any student can have a show, granted that show's not already on air. From our standpoint, the only prerequisite for our show was that there was not another one like it."

If a student gets the opportunity to have his or her own show, all they have to complete is an emcee test, to know what they can or cannot do on air, along with other technical information.

Loper said her time on WEGL is her favorite hour of the week.

"We just want more people to listen to WEGL," Smith said.

Share and discuss “New WEGL radio station attracts fans from abroad” on social media.