Updyke conditionally returns to Louisiana

(Courtesy of Vasha Hunt/Opelika-Auburn News/Pool)

The man who is accused of and confessed to poisoning the Toomer's oaks has returned to Louisiana after a Lee County judge released him Wednesday under certain bond conditions.

Judge Jacob Walker III granted Updyke's release at a hearing at the Lee County Circuit Court on Wednesday, Nov. 29, once a mental examination at Taylor Hardin Secure Medical Facility in Tuscaloosa was completed. The examination was to determine his competency to stand trial.

Walker granted release on Updyke's existing bond with six additional conditions: he may only be released into the custody of his daughter Megan Updyke or his bondsman, must reside with his daughter and provide the address to the bondsman, may only leave the residence under the supervision of his daughter for medical, legal or religious appointments, he may not leave the residence between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. unless it is for medical treatment, may not drive a vehicle and must abide by any additional bond conditions related to other pending charges. He also must stay away from the Hammond, La. Lowe's store where Updyke was arrested Sept. 18 for allegedly threatening employees there.

A Dec. 10 hearing will be held for Walker to use the mental health evaluation to determine the future of the trial.

Share and discuss “Updyke conditionally returns to Louisiana” on social media.