Auburn goes above and beyond to honor local veterans

On Nov. 12, 2012, the Auburn Veterans Committee placed a wreath in front of the monument to honor veterans. (Sydney Callis / COMMUNITY REPORTER)

Complementing the American Flags hung around the city and the “Support Our Troops” bumper stickers and license plates, the city of Auburn went above and beyond with honoring the service and sacrifice of former military members, especially those living in the community, by forming the Auburn Veterans Committee.
The committee came into existence in 1998 after Mayor Bill Ham was elected to serve his first mayoral term, said Capt. Dick Phelan, retired Navy officer and member of the Auburn Veterans Committee.
The concept and execution of a Veterans Committee is rarity among other communities, Phelan said, and he is proud to live in a community that has such a high regard toward remembering and honoring veterans, local and nationwide.
“A lot of people lose sight of what the military does, not only for the community but the nation,” Phelan said. “I think that over time, it is incumbent on us who are growing up who have experienced the military to pass on to our sons and daughters and grandsons and granddaughters what the military does, and I think this is the way to do it.”
The Veterans Committee has two public events each year to honor local veterans and is responsible for the Veteran’s Memorial located on the corner of Glenn Street and Ross Street.
“Every Veterans Day, we put on a formal Veterans Day ceremony at the Auburn Veterans monument,” said Lt. Commander Sam Nichols, retired Navy officer and chairman of the Veterans Committee. “Then every Memorial Day, we have the Mayor’s Memorial Day breakfast followed by a wreath laying at the monument.”
Phelan said in addition to the holiday ceremonies, the committee wanted to have something in the community that would remind citizens year round of the sacrifice and bravery of the veterans in this community and nationwide.
“We decided we needed some kind of monument of something to recognize veterans with,” Phelan said. “We raised money a couple different ways. Number one was contributions and didn’t get a lot of those, but we also have those brick pavers that lead up to the monument on either side. We charge $100 apiece and there are about 700 sitting out there right now.”
The monument is something Phelan said he thinks is a value not only to veterans, but to the community as well.
Nichols, Phelan and Segars said they feel military service is important because it teaches honor, discipline and commitment to the men and women serving. Segars said those characteristics are important to impart in younger generations.
“Number one is discipline,” Segars said. “No matter what you do in the military you have to be disciplined.”
The commitment and sacrifice are two things Nichols remembers well. His service in the Navy provided him with many opportunities, and he appreciates what his military service provided him.
“It taught me a lot of discipline, time management, how to stay in shape, and I was a member of the submarine force and had a lot of fascinating experiences there,” Nichols said. “Lots of travels all over and experiences on submarines that I did a lot of things very few people get to do, or are inclined to do.”
All three men expressed thanks for the opportunities and lessons military service provided them. Segars said his military experience offered him the opportunity to travel to all 50 states and many countries, including his deployments during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
“I’ve been all over the world,” Segars said. “I’ve moved 14 times in my army career. I’ve done some time in Korea, Japan. I’ve done a lot of time in the Middle East doing combat and both peace time training.”
The traveling and time that goes into military service, however, takes time away from family. Nichols and Phelan, both Navy retirees, served on missions that meant they were away from home. Phelan is even a veteran of the Vietnam War.
“Coming home from Vietnam was a memory,” Phelan said. “Certainly, I never had any crashes, but I had some uncomfortable moments in airplanes now and then.”
All members of the Auburn Veterans Committee are retired military members, and Nichols said he thinks veterans are the perfect people to run the committee.
“It is kind of a natural group to carry out the mission of honoring veterans,” Nichols said.
Along with recognizing and remembering the veterans in the community, the Veterans Committee established the Auburn Veterans Foundation Scholarship in 2008. The scholarship was created as a way to give back to the community.
The two scholarships are offered to military members, veterans and dependents of military members or veterans who attend either Southern Union University or Auburn University.
“We want, as a veterans committee, to support the veterans who have served in the military and are either trying to get an education to get a job or trying to get an education over at Auburn University to hopefully get a job after they graduate,” Phelan said.
Phelan said the success of the Veterans Committee is largely due to the Auburn community, and Segars said the proximity of Auburn to Maxwell Air Force Base and Fort Benning boosts the patriotism throughout the community.
“They feed into the Auburn community, and it’s just a very patriotic place,” Segars said.
Because of Auburn’s patriotism and support for past, present and future military members, the Veterans Committee works to honor their memories.
“It’s an appreciation of what veterans have done,” Nichols said. “I think all Americans should honor veterans who get out there and put their lives on the line, do dangerous jobs and often die unfortunately. Not everyone can do it.”
At the Nov. 12, 2012, Veteran’s Day ceremony at the monument in front of billowing flags representing each branch of military, Rear Adm. Bill Goodwin, retired U.S. Navy officer, discussed the importance of remembering the courage and sacrifice of military members, past and present.
“Not just today, not just this month but throughout the year, thank a veteran for their service, and remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice,” Goodwin said.
A slideshow presentation is available here.
To view the accompanying multimedia presentation, click here.

Share and discuss “Auburn goes above and beyond to honor local veterans” on social media.