Her view: Pushing for the success of men's basketball

Obviously, the Auburn student body was less than impressed and essentially embarrassed with the turn out of the most recent football season that swiftly spiraled out of control. So while we move forward and hope for a better one next year, all focus and hope for success goes to the next most supposed popular sport at Auburn- men's basketball.

As the team gets adjusted to beginning of the season, coping with each other and how they operate when the pressure is on, the Tigers start with a weak record of 2-5. However, after reviewing the player's statistics and future goals and plans for improvement, this shouldn't be an indicator of how the rest of the season will pan out.

The team has vastly changed since last year, with only five scholarship players remaining on the team who were initially recruited by head coach Tony Barbee. The team lost quality players such as Bernard Morena, Willy Kouassi, Josh Langford, Cedrick McAfee and Varez Ward after the 2012 season, all of which either transferred or were released from the team for various reasons. It was crucial for the program to recruit and re-build for any type of onward attainment, and coach Barbee has already made plans to do just that.

This year the team is considered to be seemingly young with a just enough veterans sprinkled in to give them direction, keep them focused and show them how college ball is supposed to be played. It is made up of mostly new players, altogether containing nine freshman and transfers. The new comers are expected to bring new dimensions to the team, help repair last season's record and continue to help the program progress and grow.

Star veterans that continually stand out in each game include Rob Chubb, a senior center, and Frankie Sullivan, a senior guard. Although they suffered a tough four-point loss this past Friday night against DePaul University, in the midst of it all Sullivan was able to obtain a career high scoring 28 points during the game. Though these players act as anchors and leaders on the team, Barbee is looking into next season and pushing for even better players.

Already, Barbee has landed two players who have signed with the team for the 2013-2014 season. These players include Ronald Delph, a center from IMG Academy and Benas Griciunas, a forward from Findlay Prep. Barbee anticipates one more hopeful signee, Tahj Shamsid-Deen, a point guard from Columbia High School in Decatur, Ga.

Future recruiting for the program seems promising, but in the meantime it's imperative to focus on this season; how we can muster through and learn from the rough times, gain momentum and finish strongly. The team has a hefty 24 games left until the season is over to gain credibility, confidence and produce a "winning" record that when all focus and commitment is put forth seems to be an achievable goal.

So, let's stick behind our players no matter what and believe in the capability of the team.

War Damn AU Basketball, ya'll.

Share and discuss “Her view: Pushing for the success of men's basketball” on social media.