Teacup and the Monster to rock at The Hound Saturday, Feb. 2

Band members Josh Carnley, Tommy Kratzert, Lydia Cash, Jake Carnley and Brian Keyser in their upcoming album cover. (Courtesy of Jake Carnley)

For a night of great music, The Hound is the place to be this Saturday, Feb. 2. Rock n' roll band Teacup and the Monster will play at The Hound, along with Atlanta based band, The Red Sea.

"We've played at The Hound several times, including our album release last year," said Jake Carnley, lead singer of Teacup and the Monster. "We're family--it's a cool environment to play and chill. They have a lot of good food, a lot of good beer and a lot of good people."

Carnley added that the environment is relaxed and there is something for everybody to enjoy. "There's a lot of culture there," Carnley said.

While Teacup and the Monster is taking most of the semester off of some gigs, the band does plan to play certain shows.

"We're working on an album right now, so we're going to do a lot of sparse shows. We've been called for a festival in Birmingham, and we want to be strategic about the shows, instead of just playing all the time," Carnley said.

Teacup and the Monster has been in the studio gearing up for a successful fall and a successful release of its second album--all the while surrounding itself with the evolving sound of Auburn's music and arts scene.

"There's been some really neat opportunities opened up in Opelika with a gentlemen named Richard Patton," Carnley said. "It looks like we'll be here for the next few years to see this art movement through because (Auburn is) definitely developing into a place where there's a lot of creativity, original art, music, poetry and painting."

And because the band's sound has changed so much, its main focus is the upcoming album, which will be released in September.

"What we were playing was fine and good for the time, but it just didn't represent us as well," Carnley said. "We love rock 'n' roll, we love southern music and southern culture, so we geared our sound into more of an open book into who we are and what it is that creates us."

Teacup and the Monster plans to stay in Auburn for a while not only because of the developing art scene, but also because of the people.

"There's an endless supply of people here, and an endless supply of artists," Carnley said.

The Red Sea, out of Atlanta was in contact with mutual friends of Teacup and the Monster, so the two bands worked together to book the show at The Hound.

"They're a really cool band," Carnley said. "They're a trio that does a lot of rock 'n' roll meets psychedelic--it will be interesting to see how our sounds mesh."

While The Red Sea will play first, Carnley said no one is really opening for the other.

"It will be even. We're excited to hear them, and they're excited to hear us. It will just be a good night of music," Carnley said.

Carnley expects a big turnout, and is excited for the band's new sound to be heard, as well as to get feedback from the audience.

"This sound is more of what I like to do, and more of what I hear in my head when I hear music, and I'm excited to get this new sound circulating," Carnley said.

The Red Sea will play first at 9 p.m., followed by Teacup and the Monster at 10 p.m. Teacup and the Monster's second album will be released in September 2013, and the band plans to tour and play more gigs shortly after the release.

Share and discuss “Teacup and the Monster to rock at The Hound Saturday, Feb. 2” on social media.