Violations result in presidential run-off for Thursday

Harrison Mills
Harrison Mills

A list of current violations from all candidates is available here 

The SGA spring elections results were announced Tuesday, Feb. 19 via callouts on Cater lawn. The new vice president, treasurer and Miss Auburn were announced, and a run-off was announced for SGA president.

The run-off for president will be between Harrison Mills, with 38.5 percent of the vote, and Chelsea Crooks, with 33.89 percent. The other candidate for president was Eric Savage.

With neither candidate for presidency reaching the required 40 percent, the 2013 presidential election resulted in a run-off, scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 21 with results announced at 10 p.m., between Chelsea Crooks and Harrison Mills. Crooks received 33.89 percent of the vote and Mills receive 38.5 percent.

Crooks’ campaign violations resulted in a loss of 750 votes. She was 395 votes behind Mills.

“I’ll be campaigning for the next few days, same as before,” Crooks said. “The same sanctions are applied, but the 750 votes won’t be taken away.”

Campaign violations are brought before and decided upon by the Elections Board, a group of influential students seeking for the betterment of Auburn. All four of Mills’ violations were brought forth by students and two of Crooks’ three violations were brought forth by Elections Council. which was responsible for her 750 vote deduction.

Just two percentage points shy of a win, Mills said he’s excited to continue his race for SGA president.

“There are two great candidates that are running,” Mills said “I think we have equal amount of support. I think we’re going to continue our friendship, and I think we’re going to do our best. I’m very excited.”

Without Crooks’ 750 vote violation she would have landed 355 votes ahead of Mills, or with 42 percent of the vote.

“I don’t even know how to feel about it right now,” Crooks said. “I’m really humbled by the opportunity to have a second chance. Looking forward to running a clean campaign the next two days.”

Mills said he still plans to campaign on the concourse.

“I’m honored to make the runoff and I’m very excited…We’re going to continue,” Mills said.” I think students are going to be appreciative there’s going to be less people on the concourse so we can really tap into some of the student population.”

Crooks said it is important to her to make sure everyone is 110 percent within election codes the next few days, and she said she’s feeling motivated.

Eric Savage, who came in third with 1,412 votes, said he ran an honest campaign.

“It’s not about cheating…This doesn’t change how I present myself to the student body,” Savage said. “It’s just being honest and being for the students, as I believe I represented this week through not having a campaign with violations, through running a clean campaign and through interacting with students and asking their opinions and not going up and harassing the student body.”

Josh Magruder, who withdrew his candidacy for president, received 176 votes.

Share and discuss “Violations result in presidential run-off for Thursday” on social media.