Cirque d' Auburn: The Greatest Show on the Plains

(Courtesy of Auburn UPC)
(Courtesy of Auburn UPC)

The University Program is hosting a Tiger Nights event Friday, April 12, from 7 p.m. until midnight: Cirque d' Auburn.

Organized and modeled after Cirque Du Soleil, the event will be much like a circus featuring aerialists, magicians, jugglers and carnival foods.

Amanda Hurite, assistant director of Tiger Nights, said that they were actually looking to bring in a real circus act with a big top tent, something similar to Barnum and Bailey, but there aren't many traveling circuses in the South so they decided to go with the Cirque Du Soleil theme.

Although no performers from the actually Cirque du Soleil act will be there, the company that will be performing the aerial acts is a professional company based out of Atlanta, according to Hurite.

"They should be really fun to watch," said Hurite.

Students can look forward to inflatables, stilt walkers, contortionists, a bungee jump, tye dye, caricature artists and carnival games.

"I really enjoy Tiger Nights events," Desiree Gordon, junior in computer science said. " I'm excited about Cirque d' Auburn and getting to see the aerial acts and I really look forward to trying the fried Oreos."

The aerial acts will begin at 8:20 p.m. and 10 p.m. in the ballroom of the Student Center and magicians will be performing between the two acts from 8:40 until 9:40 p.m.

"I really think they are going to enjoy the acts the most. Last time we done a casino, so it was more interactive, but this time they can actually watch something," Hurite said. "I think it will be really exciting for them; make it something different than we have had in the past too."

Hurite said that they are bringing in carnival style food including corndogs, soft pretzels, pizza, popcorn, funnel cakes and something new: fried Oreos.

"We're thrilled. We always are," Hurite said. "It's our last one. It should be really good."

Laura Barnett, Tiger Nights director, said that they have been planning the event since December of last year and that each night nights takes weeks of preparation and even more thinking of ideas and acts.

"We absolutely love having Tiger Nights," Barnett said. " Since there are only a couple of them each semester, it is a big deal for us to see all of our planning take shape."

The event is not open to the public, but is free to Auburn students with a student ID and a waiver of liability has to be signed before students can enter.

"Sign a waiver, get a wristband and have fun," Hurite said.

Share and discuss “Cirque d' Auburn: The Greatest Show on the Plains” on social media.