History behind Supper Club

the renovated shot bus behind the Supper Club is known to get notoriously rowdy. (Raye May / PHOTO EDITOR)

Established in 1937, War Eagle Supper Club, 2061 S. College St., is one of the oldest bars in the city of Auburn.

Cory Hattier, co-owner of the Supper Club, said that the club opened as a brothel and a gambling house, and in the 1970's became a club and started to serve pizza and hamburgers. The Supper Club is now strictly a club.

Supper Club is a membership only club and one can be purchased for $2. There is also a lifetime gold membership that can be purchased for $200.

"This membership allows to get through the line faster and it's a nice way to beat the lines on football weekends," said Hattier.

The Supper Club offers a shuttle bus that picks people up and drops them off free of charge. They just ask you tip the driver.

Hattier said the original shuttle bus was a school bus that broke down and was parked in the back of the club. They turned it into a bar, which is known as the shot bus and is one of the main attractions of the club.

lane Sellers, bartender of eight years, said the club attracts many different crowds from college students, to people just stopping through, to an older crowd.

The club offers a variety of music from rap to country to hard rock for its different crowds and bands like Splendid Chaos, to Velcro Pygmies, to 17th Floor. Every Saturday night, the club has Ricky Luis, former lead guitarists for rock band Santana, on the acoustic stage outback.\0x2028 "Everybody has a good time. That's the whole goal of the Supper Club is that everybody has a good time," Hattier said.

Christy White, a bartender at the club said the people and the interactions are her favorite parts of the club.

"You get to see some crazy stuff," White said.

Hattier said the club is also used for bands to practice because there really isn't anywhere for bands to practice anymore.

It can be rented for different events including formals and wedding receptions, and the Supper Club will celebrate its 75th anniversary the second week of July that will feature the Velcro Pygmies.

"If you come here when the Pygmies are playing and you don't have fun, you just don't like to have fun," Sellers said.

The club is open Thursday through Saturday starting at 10 p.m.

You can contact the bus for rides by calling 334-707-7143 and for updates, events and Supper Club souvenirs, visit wareaglesupperclub.com.

"This is the oldest tradition in Auburn and is still the oldest bar in Auburn," Sellers said. "We are still the most fun, legally, you can have after midnight in Auburn."

Share and discuss “History behind Supper Club” on social media.