Spring practice day 6: Jaylon Denson impresses Rhett Lashlee and other offense notes

Offensive line coach J.B. Grimes watches his offensive line block. Grimes' points of emphasis Friday were keeping his players' hips square and elbows in tight. (ANDREW YAWN / SPORTS REPORTER)

As players ran suicides in the team's indoor training facility Friday morning, Gus Malzahn paced around the middle of the field repeating two points as players got within earshot.

"Get your mind right," Malzahn said. "It's the little things. Little things matter."

For Rhett Lashlee, the man in charge of rebuilding Auburn's offense, getting his players to believe those words might be the key to the team's success.

When Malzahn and Lashlee speak about improving the team's mentality, that's not to say the Tigers have a bad mentality.

Both Lashlee and defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson gushed about the team's positive attitude after practice Friday morning, but that's not what the coaches are worried about.

"The number one thing we're looking for as a coaching staff tomorrow is attention to detail, discipline," Lashlee said. "Here we are now six days in, and we're still inconsistent. On offense it takes all 11. Their attitudes are great. They're giving us everything they think we've got. We've just got to learn to push ourselves beyond what we think we can."

For Lashlee, a consistent positive attitude is a great thing. Consistent positive plays are even better.

Lashlee said tight end C.J. Uzomah, wide receiver Jaylon Denson, center Reese Dismukes and fullback Jay Prosch have upheld those ideals and have shown flashes of being where they need to be in the offense.

Uzomah, Prosch and Dismukes are all nearly automatic starters, but Lashlee's inclusion of Denson is somewhat surprising considering his lack of production.

The 6-foot-3 216 pound junior played primarily on special teams the past two seasons and has one career catch at Auburn, however, Lashlee and Malzahn have a history of making something from nothing.

In Malzahn's first year as offensive coordinator, Darvin Adams' career receptions went from three to 63 as Adams set the school record for most receptions in a season (60). Last season, Lashlee and Malzahn's first and only with Arkansas State, the pair took freshman J.D. McKissic, a Phenix City-native, and made him the team's leading receiver.

McKissic finished the season with 103 catches for 1,022 yards and five touchdowns as a freshman.

Despite his lack of production, Denson has the size and speed to have a breakthrough year in 2013.

He also has the trust of his coach.

"I know I can count on him six days in," Lashlee said. "We always try to put our best 11 on the field, and right now he'd be one of those guys."

On the offensive line, Lashlee and o-line coach J.B. Grimes have been shuffling players on the inside.

Dismukes is firmly entrenched as the team's starting center, but backups Alex Kozan and Tunde Fariyike rotated between center and guard Friday.

In the backfield, Lashlee said the team implemented short yardage scenarios today and will use the scrimmage tomorrow to evaluate the running backs.

Corey Grant and Tre Mason each saw time returning kickoffs Friday, and as the team's only two returning running backs, they will most likely see the majority of the snaps.

JUCO transfer Cameron Artis-Payne shouldn't be counted out of the competition, however. A punishing running back, Artis-Payne ran for 2,048 yards and 25 touchdowns last season showing that he has what it takes to be a goal line or feature back.

Lashlee said Prosch may see some goal line situations in the fall, but for the now the team just wants him to perfect his play at H-back.

Share and discuss “Spring practice day 6: Jaylon Denson impresses Rhett Lashlee and other offense notes” on social media.