Expansion coming for Balcony Bar

Anna Grafton / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR
Anna Grafton / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

Tuesday, May 21 the Auburn City Council approved the expansion of Balcony Bar to provide more room for the downtown bar's patrons.

With the expansion, Balcony Bar will keep its present interior lounge space, but it will now also occupy the adjacent space previously used by Ardistry hair studio.

None of the City Council members opposed the expansion, citing that the bar could benefit from more interior space and more bathrooms.

Balcony Bar has become a big factor in the Auburn bar scene with live performances from local bands such as Blame Sydney.

To accommodate the crowd for these shows, Balcony Bar has already commandeered the namesake balcony as its venue.

City Manager Charlie Duggan said the use of the balcony above Moe's and Little Anthony's is another reason to support the expansion of Balcony Bar.

The renovation will include the addition of another bar in the new space with doors connecting the two lounge spaces inside.

And yet, this is not the only bar undergoing renovations.

In addition to approving Balcony Bar's expansion, the City Council also approved a deck expansion for 1716.

As Duggan noted at the meeting, the move was already approved in the last City Council conference.

However, instead of adding a "solid, pavilion-style deck roof," 1716 is looking to add a retractable awning to cover the deck.

Share and discuss “Expansion coming for Balcony Bar” on social media.