Editorial: Blowing smoke up our butts: a failed policy

Americans who smoke and Americans who don't smoke have always been at odds. Smokers think anti and non-smokers are whiny and intrusive. Non-smokers think smokers are walking cancer machines out to kill everyone they meet.
Tobacco has been a major cash crop since the birth of the U.S., and it continues to bring in billions each year. We used to celebrate our heritage as a tobacco producing country. Now, the consensus seems to be shifting to more of a feeling of shame than pride.
Not all of the shame is unfounded.
In the constant struggle for higher profits and lower costs, the tobacco industry began putting all kinds of tasty yet toxic chemicals in cigarettes - supposedly making them more addictive. They also engaged in unethical marketing campaigns intended to appeal to audiences too young to comprehend the dangers of smoking.
However, the rest of the shame is totally unfounded.
The tobacco industry did have harmful business practices, but so have many of the cottage industries that have made America the economic powerhouse it is. The beef, iron and railroad industries killed many Americans in the days before regulation and health, which took decades to have an impact. Yet beef is not subject to a sin tax; iron is not age-restricted; and you don't have to look at pictures of train crashes before you board.
All of these other industries were allowed to go through the process of regulation and continue providing goods to American customers. Tobacco has become a taboo business, electing not to advertise, and customers must pay a hefty sin tax.
It's with this in mind that we congratulate the smokers of Auburn. You have proved the smoking policy, which went into effect fall semester of the 2012-2013 school year, to be the overzealous and ineffectual form of grand standing it is.
Enacted by Health Promotion and Wellness Services, a division of Student Affairs, the smoking policy requires all smokers to be at least 25ft. from any building on campus. The policy states, "Failure to comply with this Policy will constitute a violation of University policy and will be dealt with accordingly through established, formal disciplinary procedures."
But that has turned out to be more of a suggestion.
Granted, the smoking policy is mild compared to many other places in America. In New York, you have to pay a fine if you are caught smoking in a park, on the beach, or in many outdoor attractions, such as Times Square. However, we see this current smoking policy as a first step on the path to a total smoking ban.
We think it is absolutely ridiculous to create passive-aggressive policies and laws infringing on reasonable personal choices, so we are happy to see such a foolhardy policy being generally ignored.
There is no way to enforce it, or, at least, there isn't one preventing making the University look like it's full of overbearing authoritarians. Hiring more security guards or adding an anti-smoking enforcement amendment to the University's contract with Auburn Police Department would be a tremendous waste of time and money.
Especially on something that isn't a real problem.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Blowing smoke up our butts: a failed policy” on social media.