Her view: Racial differences still create segregation, even in college

College is meant to shape and educate us as individuals, the transition between youth and adulthood.
At first glance, campuses are extremely diverse, consisting of different ethnicities and cultures. But do we, as students, take advantage of the cultures that we are immersed in? Or do we come into this new experience with preconceived notions and stereotypes that lead us to only befriend those who look, dress and act like ourselves?
As much as we would like to over- look the fact and make the claims that segregation is a thing of the past and racism is long gone, it's just not true. For all of our progress, including having a multi-racial president in office, America is still largely divided, specifically in the Southern states.
This year an analysis of the 2010 U.S. Census Date revealed Southern cities, including Birmingham; Houston; Memphis, Tenn.; New Orleans; and Miami, among the 21 most racially segregated major cities in the nation.
My high school was comprised of only 30 percent Caucasians. I was fortunate enough to grow up in a culture of multiple ethnicities. Even as a minority within my school, I never experienced racism or the segregation of cultures that seems so much more common in college. I have come to realize acceptance of multicultural relationships and friendships are not as orthodox or well received by everyone. I have quickly found out that not only are some people unaccepting of biracial relationships and multicultural interaction; it often provokes anger and strong emotion.
Since I've begun my college career, I have been in utter shock at the lack of interaction between races. Greek systems are racially divided, classrooms seem to be a seating chart based on skin color, and when I go out on the weekend, I find clusters of colors divided around the bar.
Difference in skin color is a result of the same scientific explanation as difference in hair color, melanin. Different skin pigments create different skin color, the exact same way different pigments create blonds and brunettes. I have yet to find the blond-only sorority on campus, and I see multitudes of hair colors interacting everyday.
So why does this stop at hair and not transition to the acceptance of different skin color as well?
Of course, our race is a part of who we are, but it shouldn't define who we are.
Our experience as the Auburn Family is not based simply on a college education or around a football team. Being a part of this Family is an opportunity to utilize a complete learning experience, including the learning opportunities available from our diverse Auburn Family members.
We are young; we have our entire lives ahead of us, and a great big world to explore. For the most part, students are not taking advantage of the opportunity to open their minds
to the stories and experiences of others. We are moving away from home to attend college, yet remain in our comfort zones, avoiding the very individuals who actually give us the opportunity to learn something new, useful and beneficial that isn't taught in the classrooms.
We are all a part of the Auburn Family, with our own unique backgrounds, stories, ideas and knowledge.
Next time you go to class, sit next to someone who looks nothing like you, who dresses nothing like you, who talks nothing like you, and open your mind to something more valuable than an education. Learn his or her story, strike up a conversation and leave your comfort zone.
Change begins one person at a time.

Share and discuss “Her view: Racial differences still create segregation, even in college” on social media.