Letter to the Editor: Respect the shakers?

It is clear that Auburn fans are extremely loyal, regardless if their team is succeeding or viciously fighting for a win. What I do not understand is the respect of the shakers. Like many other committed Auburn student fans, I plotted and planned to "nab" my student season passes. Because student seating is not assigned, many fans arrive at least two hours early to the stadium to find proper seating. However, many students avoid sections that are reserved by the "shakers." These sections are "saved" by the fraternity pledges, who have been directed to save large sections for their "big brothers." After I looked for a seat in the hot southern sun, I was instructed by security that all seats were available, so I sat. Within minutes, I was confronted by five male pledges instructing me, simultaneously, to move because the seats were taken. I considered moving, but when more pledges added to the pack, I began to feel as if I was being "bullied" to move, thus my fiance and I chose to stand our ground. As a proud member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Incorporated, I understand the initiation process; however, this form of hazing unfathomable. When I made the decision to join my organization, my actions did not adversely affect others around me. My initiation process was private and focused on building me up as a person, realizing the value in service and selfless acts, not acts of intimidation and bullying. I say this to say that Auburn student football fans should not endure the adverse effects of pledging, especially if he/she is NOT a pledge. Auburn student football fans, I encourage you to ignore the shakers and sit wherever you choose. If we set different expectations, then the fraternities and their pledges will have no other choice than to adhere. If we continue to respect the shakers, we will continue to be without a seat, even though you have "shoveled" out the same coins as the next man.

Share and discuss “Letter to the Editor: Respect the shakers?” on social media.