SGA funds Miss Auburn in addition to budget cuts for other organizations

The Student Government Association deliberated on its budget and other important topics for the 2013 fall semester Monday, Sept. 16th, with many notable changes coming into effect.
The most contested part of the 2013 budget was the decision to include the Miss Auburn budget, a sum total of $1,000 used by the pageant winner to fulfill projects throughout the year as she sees fit.
"The money for Miss Auburn has run out," said Will McManus, SGA Treasurer. "The money that Miss Auburn was traditionally using doesn't exist anymore."
Formerly funded exclusively through a single private citizen annually, Miss Auburn and her budget will now be funded through the SGA overall budget which draws its own funds from student tuitions.
"To stop that from happening were asking for $1,000 to help Miss Auburn be Miss Auburn," McManus said.
The funds were allotted after it was ruled that they would be used to fulfill projects otherwise untenanted and deemed beneficial to the university, with plans made to seek alternate funding sources next year.
In addition, the SGA Senate agenda included budget cuts to the Center of Leadership and Ethics and the Center for Student Organizations and Welcome Week for their least successful programs.
UPC's budgets was trimmed about $20,000 for things including films, fine arts, stage equipment and guest appearances.
Future business slated for the SGA senate meeting next week includes the possible removal of the Freshmen Senate Council and a reformation of funding requests for student organizations.

Share and discuss “SGA funds Miss Auburn in addition to budget cuts for other organizations” on social media.