City Council hears concerns for future of education at Auburn City Schools

At the Oct. 15 Auburn City Council meeting tax referendums, construction plans and board vacancies were discussed.
In Auburn University Communications, the SGA liaison reported the Homecoming parade was a success and voiced students' concerns over the current government shutdown.
In Citizens' Communications, an Auburn High School band member questioned the effects and status of the failed tax referendum.
"I think I can speak for the Council and say they too are concerned about the direction we are going and how we are going handle the ongoing growth in the schools," said Mayor Bill Ham. "This Council certainly believes in public education in this community and invests in it with this community's tax dollars heavily and we are equally as concerned going forward as each of you are."
The Frank Brown Recreation Center will receive $334,211 in renovations as part of the racquetball court renovations project. As part of the project, the existing racquetball courts will be reconfigured into fitness areas.
City Manager Charlie Duggan said the money is not able to be transferred to the school budget to help build a new high school.

Other Council News:
Two board vacancies, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and the Citizens Advisory Committee of the Metropolitan Planning Organization, were announced and appointments will be made Nov. 19.
Annex ordinance moved until January 2014 for Dennis Franklin and Randy Franklin's property located east of South College Street and south of Mt. Vernon Baptist Church.
Approved to close city streets, Oct. 25, for Downtown AUtumn Nights. Magnolia Avenue between College Street and Gay Street will be closed to vehicular traffic.
Approved concurrence to the Industrial Development Board to secure a second location for Seohan Auto USA Corporation on 2590 Innovation Drive Lot 19 in the Aubrn Technology Park.
Approved expansion of Oly's Automotive, 465 Opelika Road, for road service.

Share and discuss “City Council hears concerns for future of education at Auburn City Schools” on social media.