Good old-fashion Syrup Sopping day

Loachapoka's 42nd annual Syrup Sopping is this Saturday, Oct. 19.

Loachapoka's community consists of 184 people, according to US Census Bureau. However, during Syrup Sopping Saturday, the town overflows with approximately 20,000 visitors.
Saturday, Oct. 19, Loachapoka celebrates the 42nd annual Syrup Sopping and historical fair from 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
Numerous festivities honoring the traditions of Creek Indians, as well as the old traditions of the community, will feature crafts, music and food.
Vendors line up along the train tracks to demonstrate and display their own products, which might include weaving and cloth-making, bread-making, soap-making, period pottery and other old-time crafts.
Musical entertainment featuring hammered and mountain dulcimers, banjos and guitars will provide listeners with a glimpse of the old, southeastern traditions.
Tours of the Trade Center Museum, across the street from the fair, will be open and available to interested parties throughout the day as well.
Of course, the famous syrup is usually accompanied by homemade sweet potato biscuits, camp stew, beans, collards and barbecue.
The first fair occurred in 1972 to celebrate the traditions of the Creek Indians, who settled in the Loachapoka area long ago. The Creeks also provided Loachapoka with its name, which means "where the turtles gather."
Last year, a petting zoo was on site for the crowd to enjoy. Loachapoka is located approximately 4 miles outside of Auburn down Highway 14.
Syrup Sopping day is free and open to all ages. Tickets to the museum tour cost $3 for adults. Children, ages 12 and younger, get in for free if accompanied by an adult.

Share and discuss “Good old-fashion Syrup Sopping day” on social media.