Auburn Parkour Club trains through pain

Dylan Westfall and Filipe Magalhaes backflip at the same time on the Haley concourse.

Leaping from edge to edge, as if flying was possible, the Auburn Parkour Club turns an afternoon on campus into a practice area for an extreme sport.
"Parkour, technically, is the art form of getting from point A to point B as quickly and efficiently as possible," said Dylan Westfall, sophomore in kinesiology and member of the club. "Instead of walking up the stairs and around the wall, you just go up and over the wall. You can always add your own flair and style."
Westfall said Auburn's campus is a great facility to practice on.
"It's not padded, but we have obstacles that you cant find anywhere else, such as the way they've built the wheelchair ramps and walls and just random structures," Westfall said.
The University allows the club to train on campus as long as no property is destroyed and no one goes on rooftops.
The Auburn Parkour Club was founded seven years ago by Cory Robinson, a former Auburn Police officer and now full-time stunt double.
The club meets new parkour trainers at jams, events where parkour enthusiasts meet others interested in parkour and go through timed obstacle course challenges.
"I really like (parkour) for the community," Jonathan Sligh, sophomore in wireless engineering and member of the club. "I wouldn't have known these people if I didn't actually go out and train. You already have that common ground, you just build on it from there."
Ibrahim Hakima, senior in aerospace engineering and member of the club, has even trained with people in China.
With leaping across buildings and walls on a daily basis, injuries are a common occurrence.
The injuries the members of the club include twisted ankles, dislocated shoulders and concussions.
"Some of the injuries can set you back, especially leg injuries," said Filipe Magalhaes, junior in industrial design and member of the club. "When I would get my ankle injuries, it would be so bad that I would have to stop for two months."
Although Magalhaes has injured himself many times while practicing parkour, he said he will never stop trying to improve.
"When I was a freshman in high school, I saw a viral video of these Russian guys that really inspired me," Magalhaes said. "Every since I saw that video, I'll go around and see a wall and run on the wall. Eventually, I wanted to take it further, so around my junior year, I started researching and found a gym close to me, and I've been going there for the past four years."
Magalhae's ultimate goal is to audition for "American Ninja Warrior," a show on the Esquire network where competitors run through a series of obstacle courses in pursuit to win the grand prize of $500,000.
Westfall said he also hopes to pursue parkour after graduation.
"I want to start my own parkour group to teach kids," Westfall said. "There are not a lot of safe facilities to train with all the concrete and grass."
Parkour gives members an excuse to work out outside the gym.
"I'm pretty athletic, so parkour actually gives me something to do instead of hitting the gym and then going home and watching TV," said Kevin Doan, undeclared freshman and member of the club.
Dimick Beesley, sophomore at Auburn High School and member of the club, started taking interest in parkour after watching "American Ninja Warrior."
"I started to watch them and (began) practicing (the moves) on my trampoline," Beesley said.
Although many know of the Auburn Parkour Club for their "Tosh.0" fame debut, Westfall sets the record straight about the trick mishap.
Westfall said the woman on the video clip is a professional parkour athlete who was just visiting from Washington D.C. for a jam at Auburn.
"People get injured all the time, that was just a freak accident," Westfall said. "She broke her jaw and sliced her cheeks. She basically curb stomped her face into the ledge."
Despite injuries, Sligh said parkour has many benefits.
"(Parkour) strives to keep you in shape," Sligh said. "You have to work to keep in shape to do the moves, and parkour helps you get over fears."
To join the club, anyone interested can post on the Auburn Parkour Facebook page.

Share and discuss “Auburn Parkour Club trains through pain” on social media.