Tai Chi classes offer discipline and growth

Qin Cai, Tai Chi coach, leading the International Tai Chi class outside Foy Hall.

Feeling stressed? Too tense? Poor posture? Try Tai Chi.
Auburn residents can now choose between two Tai Chi groups to better their physical or mental well-being.
"Tai Chi is a physical and mental training system and martial art," said Richard Johnson, a graduate student who teaches the two-credit-hour class offered by the University.
Johnson leads students every Tuesday and Thursday at 8 a.m.
When the weather permits, the class meets in a shaded glen between the tennis courts and the old track.
To an outsider, Tai Chi appears to be a series of slow, steady movements from one state to another.
Johnson leads the class, demonstrating each form and helping students focus on posture and form.
"A lot of people have found applications for health, both physically and mentally, and some people even use (Tai Chi) as a spiritual center," Johnson said.
Non-students can learn Tai Chi through a new program offered by the Office of International Students.
Qin Cai moved to Auburn with his wife and offers free Tai Chi classes every weekday in front of Foy Hall at 11:30 a.m.
"I think Tai Chi is good for health," Cai said. "I teach classes to benefit everybody here."
Cai offers classes by Goodwin Hall and at his home at 265 Virginia Ave. as well. He invites anyone to join.
"Any people can join us, young people or old people," Cai said. "The door is open."
Auburn Abroad Director Deborah Weiss said she enjoys the class, despite having only two days' experience with Tai Chi.
"It's energy, and it's relaxation, and that's really conducive to getting your work done," Weiss said.
Johnson also said he recommended Tai Chi, saying students get unique benefits from it.
"I had a guy who was a rugby and soccer player, and he figured out ways to improve his rugby and soccer," Johnson said. "I had another guy who was a fireman. He figured out ways to use Tai Chi in a firefighting situation that helped him do his job better."
Mary Craig, senior in biomedical sciences, said Johnson's class is very interesting.
"I do a lot of yoga, and I do martial arts, and I wanted to try something like that," Craig said.
"It makes you think of what you're doing in a different way, and it's something new."
Johnson's class is more structured than Cai's. Johnson assigns a report on a topic within Tai Chi, and the students discuss each others' papers.
"Simple, not a major thing," Johnson said.
He also requires students to complete a practical final exam by displaying a Tai Chi form and a few exercises.
"It's not too rigorous, but it's a lot more structured than most Tai Chi instruction usually is," Johnson said.
The two classes differ in a few key ways. Only students can take Johnson's University-offered class, and anyone can practice with Cai.
Johnson's class had 14 students in attendance while only three attended Cai's class.
Johnson said he has a certain way of teching.
"What I've had to do with this class is move everyone along together," Johnson said.
"There's some advantage to that, but certainly the people don't get as much individual attention as I would like."
Students interested in the university-offered class can sign up for it through Auburn's website or email Cai at ChinaTaiChi@hotmail.com.

Share and discuss “Tai Chi classes offer discipline and growth” on social media.